Jonghyun Choe's Reviews > The Kite Runner: A Portrait of the Marc Forster Film

The Kite Runner by David Benioff

U_50x66
Apr 20, 11

The book, The Kite Runner was one of the best novels I have ever read in my life. Once I grabbed the book in my hand, I sat for hours and read.
The novel begins with the recount of the relationship between Amir, who is a son of rich family and Hassan, son of servant in the house. They spend their childhood together and are best friends in someway, but their relationship is intricate, since Hassan is Amir's servant. Amir's father, Baba likes both Amir and Hassan, but is harsh to Amir sometimes because he is not manly while Hassan is. This makes Amir have some kind of a sense of inferiority towards Hassan, which later results in Hassan and his father Ali leaving the house. Later, when Amir becomes a writer in America and returns to Afghanistan, he learns that the country has changed a lot during his absence of 20 years. Amir also learns that Hassan is dead and shockingly, is his half brother. Amir feels horrible for not being able to apologize to Hassan for what he did a long time ago, and goes searching for his nephew and Hassan's son Sohrab. The novel ends by Amir bringing back Sohrab to America, adopting him and teaching him how to run the kite, just like how Amir and Hassan used to spend their childhood in Kabul.
This novel made me think deeply about the importance of redeeming. Amir, after 20 years still feels guilty in the novel for not helping out Hassan when he was getting rapes, and for kicking him out from the house. This made me learn how horrible it would be in life to do something sinful and not being able to redeem myself from the sin.
Overall, I have enjoyed reading this novel, and I strongly recommend this novel to people who like to read autobiographies although this is a novel. Also I recommend people who are learning English to read this book especially because the language used in the novel was simple yet very powerful.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hala (new)

Hala I also liked the book a lot. You might want to read the author's others book.