Johanna Freivalds's Reviews > Once Upon a Marigold

Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris

May 06, 2011

Read from April 20 to 27, 2011

As an adult reader of this book for teens, I must say I enjoyed it a LOT. The "fairy tale" nature of the story was fun and well done. I especially liked and was amused by the use (misuse) of common idioms. I'm not so sure that all my middle school readers would "get" the humor and some readers might instead, be a bit confused or be oblivious to the subtlety,(but what a great way to show kids playing with language can be fun). Book would make an AWESOME read-aloud even for students in younger grades (3rd grade on up). Using the book as a read-aloud would also give opportunity for discussion of the sayings and possible expansion activities beyond sheer enjoyment of the story. While this is a good solid story presented in a humorous straight forward manner, the book also touches on more "meaty" ideas such as class, work and gender roles. These ideas are presented in a seamless way and do not in any way detract from the overall story nor the reader's enjoyment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Marigold.