Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Hourglass

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Jun 17, 11

bookshelves: favourites
Read in June, 2011

This book took my breath away; from the very first page of being introduced to Emerson (love that name, btw!) to the very last page of the very last chapter. I really thought this was just another time traveling tale but it turned out to be a lot more (think about a bunch of kids with powers and ability to time travel).

Now, time traveling stories are hit and miss with me. You can't be too scientific or you'll lose me entirely. And though I couldn't quite make the connection with genetics and time/space continuum, most of the 'jumping' aspect of this book was explained quite simply enough that my simple mind could follow. I got confused with the part where everyone (Em, Michael, "two other people" <--spoiler! sorry) were trying to change each other's past. But trust me, it was explained plainly--my brain is just slow when it comes to these things! Lol.

There's a love triangle in this book. Wait! Hold your groans! I've got to say that I've never, ever, ever read a love triangle where I was going either way. Michael or Kaleb? Kaleb or Michael? It didn't make a difference. I was cheering for the both of them. They were both deliciously hot! You'll just have to read to find out who Emerson ended up with. But this is just the first book soooooo...who knows? :)

Emerson. What can I say about her? She shares my passion with coffee. Hah!

She's cracked, broken, in pieces but not emo. Far from it, actually. For someone who had gone through the horrific memories of her parents' deaths and being committed and medicated, I have to say that, girlie sure was well adjusted. I really enjoyed reading Emerson. She's a sprite who can throw Michael over her shoulder in one breath and serve espresso in heels in another. She can actually put up seeing 'ghosts' without resorting back to mind numbing pills and help an 'empath' deal with the cascade of emotions that threatened to bring the white-coated men with strait jackets!

So often, we read a lot of missing parents syndromes in this genre but I'm glad this actually strayed away from that. Sure her parents were dead, but her support system was almost perfectly normal. I really loved her relationship with Thomas, her brother and Dru, her sister in law. She got grounded, scolded like a normal seventeen year-old would and the ridiculous security/camera all over the house was just...well, ridiculous. :) Oh! and her best friend Lily...I'm severely curious about her and hoping that she'll end up with "the person Emerson did not end up with" (<--spoiler! again).

I really, really, really, loved this book! *Shelves it into favourites*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hourglass.

06/16/2011 page 135
06/17/2011 page 246
62.0% "Gah. Just when things are starting to get good...shower.."
06/17/2011 page 254
64.0% "UNF. Kaleb or Michael. I could go either way."
06/17/2011 page 318