Rebecca's Reviews > The Sun Also Rises

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Apr 22, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read from April 20 to 22, 2011

If a novel is a vehicle one rides to get to a literary destination, Victor Hugo is a highly polished cabriolet carriage with a rounded, butter yellow apron trimmed in mahogany, swept up on the sides finishing into unyielding arabesques capped with a pale blue hood, lined in ivory velvet and carried by a three-year-old dappled gray with a silvery blaze down his nose.

Ernest Hemingway is a cart. Pulled by an ass.

I understand his technique of base dialogue and understated description. I just don’t relish the journey.

I did, however, find myself enjoying The Sun Also Rises. With an odd parade of characters and amazing levels of symbolism, I understand why Hemingway is viable. I simply don’t prefer this method of travel.

One of my favorite lines: "Road to hell paved with unbought stuffed dogs."
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Also Rises.

message 1: by Ami (new)

Ami You are one of the bravest people I know.

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi "Road to hell paved with unbought stuffed dogs." I really want this cross stitched on a pillow now.

message 3: by Ami (new)

Ami Oh, I do like this review. Now I will be comparing different vehicles to authors. I say Chaim Potok is an old fashioned bicycle that leans slightly to one side but yet lulls the rider into a familiar rhythm. Oh this is going to be fun.

message 4: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine Anderson I am impressed with your Victor Hugo Carriage description. I never could ride on Hemmingway's ass.

Rebecca Perfect. I have no words.

message 6: by Linnie (new)

Linnie Greene Brave, decidedly, and also hits the nail on the head.

message 7: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine Anderson I am sorry, but I did not make that pithy comment. Someone didn't get credit, but I am not sure how this happened.

Rebecca Charmaine: That wasn't you? Would you like me to delete the comment? (I thought it was humorous.)

message 9: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine Anderson I wish I were that clever. I don't really care. It is a little disturbing that someone can post a message using my account.