Imogen's Reviews > Pompeii

Feb 24, 08

Recommended to Imogen by: My Chemistry Teacher
Recommended for: People with a vague interest in Roman history
Read in February, 2008

I really liked the begining of this book and read half of it in one day hiding just below my desk at school. The opening isn't quite what you expect from a novel about a volcano but gave a really interesting insite in to life t the time as well as the worings of the rather genius roman aqueducts which i really didn't know much about. But a day later I found myself picking up a different book (never a good thing, I'm aweful at finishing one book before starting another). Pompeii just got left to one side and I read four completely different novels before finally remembering it and finishing it one the plane home from Barcelona during February half-term. The final chapters were completely gripping my dad had to force me to let go of cascades of pumice falling from the skies and threatening the once stable shealter built from the remains of a once magnificent vessel to make me eat nasty aeroplane food I really didn't want. I found the ending a bit of a let down although it was poinient, sweet and quite clever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pompeii.