Kayla's Reviews > At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror

At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror by H.P. Lovecraft

Apr 20, 2011

it was ok
Read from April 20 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

I can't say this is one of my favorite things I've ever read. I skipped whole sections that were talking about rocks and drills in the beginning, and toward the end I started skipping whole sections because they were referencing things I had no knowledge of whatsoever.

The creepiness picked up about 80% of the way through, but when they were talking about the history of the Old Ones, I have no idea how they would have discerned all of that from sculpture, and then when they were running from the caverns, I had no idea what it was they were running from or why they were so terrified.

This really did not compare, on a level of horror, with what I've read by Stephen King, which I find very odd. Maybe other stories by Lovecraft are better than this, but it will be a while before I try them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror.

04/20/2011 page 6
3.0% "So far it's been several pages about PLANES and DRILLS. Also ice."
04/20/2011
6.0% "So far it's been several pages about PLANES and DRILLS. Also ice."
04/21/2011
42.0% "I'm not so much creeped out at this point, but definitely dreading what I know must be coming up soon."
04/22/2011
48.0% "Now there's some legit creepy going on."
04/25/2011
63.0% "While I love the description of the Old Ones, I don't understand how the characters could have gotten all that from looking at sculpture. Also, is there ANY tension in this story after they find the city?"
04/28/2011
81.0% "Plot picking up again. Creepiness galore!"