Juliet's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Apr 20, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, can-t-wait-for-the-sequel, read-in-a-day, sad, unique

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

Quotes Juliet Liked

Lauren DeStefano
“Eventually I realize that I am holding on to him just as tightly as he holds on to me. And here we are: two small dying things, as the world ends around us like falling autumn leaves.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Fate, I think, is a thief.”

Lauren DeStefano
“The world seems so clean if you only looked up.”

Lauren DeStefano
“As I go, I hear her screaming my name, in a brutal, bloody way, like she's being murdered, which maybe she is. But slowly. It will take her six years to die.”

Lauren DeStefano
“There's nothing here to say good-bye to. There's no dancing girl. No mischievous smile. She's gone, off with her sisters, broken free, escaped. And if she were here now, she would say, "Go.”

Lauren DeStefano
“I wonder if she has figured out that I'll never love Linden, especially not in the way she does, and that he'll never love anyone the way he loves her. I wonder if she realizes, despite all her efforts to train me, that I can never take her place.”
tags: love

Lauren DeStefano
“She smiles at our husband as she moves, and he blushes, overcome by her beauty. But I know what her smile really means...Her smile is her revenge.”

Lauren DeStefano
“I always knew I was an excellent liar; I just didn't know that I had it in me to fool myself.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale.”

Lauren DeStefano
“I shake my head, watching snow tumble and swirl from an all-white sky. The world seems so clean if you only look up”

Lauren DeStefano
“The trick was looking past the illusion, because the exit was never as far away as it seemed.”

Lauren DeStefano
“who once had dreams of saving the world, now laughs at anyone who
tries.”

Lauren DeStefano
“So how long do you think it’ll be?” he says. “Before the next hurricane comes along to take you home.”
“Can I tell you my biggest fear?” I say.
“Yes. Tell me.”
“That it will be a very windless four years.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Tell me about yourself."

"Myself?" He looks confused.

"Yes," I say, patting the mattress.

"You know all there is to know," he says, sitting beside me.

"Not true," I say. "Where were you born? What's your favourite season? Anything."

"Here. Florida," he says. "I remember a woman in a red dress with curly brown hair. Maybe she was my mother, I'm not sure. And summer. What about you?" The last part is said with a smile. He smiles so infrequently that I consider each one a trophy.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Did you tell freedom hello for me?”

Lauren DeStefano
“Tell freedom I said hello.”

Lauren DeStefano
“I'll tell you something about true love. There's no science to it. It's as natural as the sky.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Real’ is a dirty word in this place.”
tags: jenna

Lauren DeStefano
“Love is not enough to keep any of us alive.”

Lauren DeStefano
“And if I have to die trying, I will get out of here.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Poor kid,' Jenna says, and rolls her eyes toward me for a moment. Then she returns to her book. 'She doesn't even understand what kind of place this is.”

Lauren DeStefano
“A party in the orange grove. The pain on Linden's face is immediate. I am unwavering. He has cost me more pain than I will ever be able to repay.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Even the human race can't claim to be natural anymore. We are fake, dying things. How fitting that I would end up in this sham of a marriage.”

Lauren DeStefano
“And here we are: two small dying things, as the world ends around us like falling autumn leaves.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Rhine. The river that, somewhere out there, has broken free.”

Lauren DeStefano
“What have you done? What have you given up?'
So many things, Cecily. More than you know.”

Lauren DeStefano
“Tell freedom I said hello.'
'If I happen to see it, I will.”

Lauren DeStefano
“None of the wives mention the security guards by the door, who will probably tackle us to the ground if we try to leave without our husbands.”

Lauren DeStefano
“I can almost see what Gabriel meant when he asked, 'What has the free world got that you can’t get here?'
Almost.

Freedom, Gabriel. That’s what you can’t get here.”

Lauren DeStefano
“I can hear my brother's voice in my head. Your problem is that you're too emotional.
But how can I not be emotional, Rowan? How can I not care?”

Lauren DeStefano
“You've been captive for so long that you don't even realize you want freedom anymore.”

Lauren DeStefano
“You’re insane, you know that?” he says.
“It’s the only thing keeping me afloat,” I say.”