Juliet's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Juliet Liked

Lauren Oliver
“My heart is drumming in my chest so hard it aches, but it's the good kind of ache, like the feeling you get on the first real day of autumn, when the air is crisp and the leaves are all flaring at the edges and the wind smells just vaguely of smoke - like the end and the beginning of something all at once.”

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well”

Lauren Oliver
“It's so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it's taking forever to come. Then it happens and it's over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.”

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“Everything looks beautiful. The Book of Shhh says that deliria alters your perception, disables your ability to reason clearly, impairs you from making sound judgments. But it does not tell you this: that love will turn the whole world into something greater than itself.”

Lauren Oliver
“Mice? Fine. Flying mice? Not so fine.”

Lauren Oliver
“One of the strangest things about life is that it will chug on, blind and oblivious, even as your private world - your little carved-out sphere - is twisting and morphing, even breaking apart. One day you have parents; the next day you're an orphan. One day you have a place and a path. The next day you're lost in the wilderness.
And still the sun rises and clouds mass and drift and people shop for groceries and toilets flush and blinds go up and down. That's when you realize that most of it - life, the relentless mechanism of existing - isn't about you. It doesn't include you at all. It will thrust onward even after you've jumped the edge. Even after you're dead.”

Lauren Oliver
“They say the cure is about happiness, but I understand now that it isn't, and it never was. It's about fear: fear of pain, fear of hurt, fear, fear, fear - a blind animal existence, bumping between walls, shuffling between ever-narrowing hallways, terrified and dull and stupid.”

Lauren Oliver
“The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and
when you don’t.”

Lauren Oliver
“I’ve always hated being looked at.”

Lauren Oliver
“I wonder whether she was sorry for leaving us behind.”

Lauren Oliver
“Hate isn’t the most dangerous thing, he’d said. Indifference is.”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“It occurs to me that for a long time she has been doing
her own version of resisting.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's like a razor blade edging its way through my organs, shredding me, all I can think is: It will kill me, it will kill me, it will kill me. And I don't care.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“He’s speaking in the tone of voice that everyone uses when they’re about to break you apart. Gentle—kind, even—like they can make the news sound better just by speaking in a lullaby voice.”

Lauren Oliver
“Everyone is asleep. They've all been asleep for years. You seemed ... awake.' Alex is whispering now. He closes his eyes, opens them again.'I'm tired of sleeping.”

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.

-From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales”

Lauren Oliver
“They've lied about everything.-about the fence, and the existence of Invalids, about a million other things besides. They told us the raids were carried out for our own protection. They told us the regulators were only interested in keeping the peace.
They told us love was a disease. They told us it would kill us in the end.
For the very first time I realize, that this, too, maight also be a lie.”

Lauren Oliver
“Hearts are fragile things. That's why you have to be so careful.”

Lauren Oliver
“I said, I prefer the ocean when it's gray. Or not really gray. A pale, in-between color. It reminds me of waiting for something good to happen.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's the way he says my name: like music.”

Lauren Oliver
“The past is nothing but a weight. It will build inside of you like a stone.”

Lauren Oliver
“That's all I want. Just you and me. Always.”

Lauren Oliver
“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”

Lauren Oliver
“I feel like I'm playing some giant video game, or trying to solve a really complicated math equation. 'One girl is trying to avoid forty raiding parties of between fifteen to twenty people each, spread out across a radius of seven miles. If she has to make it 2.7 miles through the center, what is the probablitiy she will wake up tomorrow morning in a jail cell? Please feel free to round pi to 3.14'.”

Lauren Oliver
“I've learned to get really good at this - say one thing when I'm thinking about something else, act like I'm listening when I'm not, pretend to be calm and happy when I'm really freaking out. It's one of the skills you perfect as you get older”

Lauren Oliver
“You came form different starts and you'll come to different ends.”

Lauren Oliver
“I hate skin; I hate bones and bodies. I want to curl up inside of him and be carried there forever.”

Lauren Oliver
“Now I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.”

Lauren Oliver
“‎"...love will turn the whole world into something greater than itself.”

Lauren Oliver
“I want to be healed and whole and perfect again, like a misshapen slab of iron that comes out of the fire glowing, glittering, razor-sharp.”

Lauren Oliver
“There are more of us than you think.”

Lauren Oliver
“My stomach gets that hollowed-out feeling. It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart.”

Lauren Oliver
“He is my world and my world is him and without him there is no world.”

Lauren Oliver
“Are you sure that being like everybody else will make you happy?"
"I don't know any other way."
"Let me show you."
And then we're kissing. Or at least, I think we're kissing—I've only seen it done a couple of times, quick closed-mouth pecks at weddings or on formal occasions. But this isn't like anything I've ever seen, or imagined, or even dreamed: this is like music or dancing but better than both.”

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die on my own terms than live on theirs. I'd rather die loving Alex than live without him.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's a miracle I was able to get out of the house today. It's a miracle I'm even wearing pants, a double miracle I remembered to wear shoes.”

Lauren Oliver
“And I love you too.” His fingers skate the edge of my jaw, dance briefly
over my lips. “You should know that. You have to know that.”

Lauren Oliver
“Take it from me: If you hear the past speaking to you, feel it tugging up your back and runing its fingers up your spine, the best thing to do-the only thing-is run.”

Lauren Oliver
“No guy in his right mind would ever choose me when there are people like Hana in the world: It would be like settling for a stale cookie when what you really want is a big bowl of ice cream, whipped cream and cherries and chocolate sprinkles included.”

Lauren Oliver
“Rainstorms are incredible: falling shards of glass, the air full of diamonds.”

Lauren Oliver
“Time jumps. It leaps. It pours away like water through fingers.”

Lauren Oliver
“That's when you really lose people, you know.When the pain passes.”