Melissa's Reviews > In the Basement of the Ivory Tower: Confessions of an Accidental Academic

In the Basement of the Ivory Tower by Professor X

Apr 22, 11

Recommended to Melissa by: Kathrina
Read from April 19 to 22, 2011

I sit at a remove from Professor X's students. It was assumed from a very young age that I would attend college at a top tier school (or at least, as top-tier as my parents' could afford); I went to a state school, graduated with no debt in four years because 1) I was driven and 2) my parents could pay for the tuition out of pocket. When medical school applications didn't pan out (after three attempts) I earned a Master's in epidemiology (while working full-time) which led to my current job and (decently) comfortable paycheck. I plan to go back to school for advanced coursework in English literature. I never had to take a basic College Writing or College Literature class because I took AP English Lit and passed the exam with a "3" - when I did take an English course in undergrad (for fun) I opted for a semester of Shakespeare. I have a lot of education because I'm smart and I had the right skill-set for college (knowing my study skills were poor, I actually read books on how to improve my study skills - I'm not kidding). In the Basement of the Ivory Tower speaks to the murky underbelly of the college system, those students who will mostly likely not go on to be doctors, CEOs, or professors and the adjuncts who teach them.

This book is hazy with anonymity; we can't compare Professor X's students with other schools' studentds because he won't tell us for fear of recrimination. I wish that Professor X could have written this book without the anonymity, although I do agree, based on the criticism he received from the initial magazine article, that it is necessary. There seems to be a lot of heads-in-sand about his stance: commenters imply that he is maligning his students by failing them, that he's not actually teaching or helping them adequately, that he doesn't care.

Newsflash: if Professor X didn't care about his students, he wouldn't have bothered to write In the Basement of the Ivory Tower. If anyone is in doubt as to the poor learning skills of Professor X's students and his almost paralyzing decision to pass or fail them, I back him 100%. In my persona as a moderator of an online bookclub I am swimming in poorly written prose - both original compositions posted in the writing room and posts as part of book discussions. God forbid I should actually tell someone that his or her post is unintelligible and makes no sense (an issue completely divorced from the issue of atrocious grammar and spelling); it is apparently "mean" to criticize. There are some who probably view Professor X as "mean" because he does attempt to hew to the standards of college-level work; he doesn't just pass them because he wants to be "nice".

Standards are at the core of the book, that students who barely function at a level appropriate to high school, or lower, grade-levels are pushed to attend college with no thought as to the actual preparation of the students. These students need remedial course work, but receive no credit for it in their degree paths so therefore don't bother nor does the college enforce this, and the connection between their career path and the college writing/literature work is tenuous at best. Adjuncts are not paid for office hours, have no place to meet with students, and often don't have time allotted by the school to give the level of personal instruction that academically disadvantaged students need. Professor X worries, how are students with rudimentary communication skills being served by this drive to send everyone and their neighbors' dog to college? It's a valid worry.

In the Basement of the Ivory Tower raises many issues and we, as a country, should seriously take a look at student debt and college requirements for job placement, at the educational system as a whole from preschool through college. Where I think this book falls down is in a lack of proposed solutions, beyond revamping the American notion of success-through-college-is-the-only-way-to-go, and in the tone of the author. What is Professor X's solution for underprepared students, beyond not forcing them to take college English? I really was not interested in Professor X's anxiety about his house or his fights with his wife; those chapters detracted from his arguments about the college system. I also felt that the quibbling over grading - do students get the "F" that is deserved under the college standards or do they get bumped up to a "D" or "C" because of improvement/situation - could have done without the tone of smarmy self-assurance implied in the many chapters. There are issues barely touched on - such as the rise of blantant plagiarism and students' seeming indifference to getting caught or the out-of-touch anthologies he is required to use as textbooks - that need more expansion. Faults aside, this book is a "whistleblower"; we need more whistleblowers and fewer heads-in-the-sand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Basement of the Ivory Tower.

04/19/2011 page 73