David Natiuk's Reviews > A New Hope

Apr 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, star-wars
Read from April 19 to May 05, 2011

Who doesn't know the story of Star Wars? Whether you simply call this Star Wars, Episode 4, A New Hope, etc. it's the story that created a new mythology, sparked the imagination of millions and launched an empire.

I read the book for curiosity sake... after all, we've all seen the movie, how does the book compare? I think the main problem is that the dialogue and images from the movie have become engrained in my brain (like many others I suspect) and any deviation is blaring. And because the movie was so good... differences in dialogue just don't work as well.

Interesting is that I don't fault the author. This book was actually released before the movie, and Alan Dean Foster wrote this book based on the screenplays. That does give us back some of the scenes that were deleted from the movies, but it also means some of the fine-tuning done by the actors and the creative film team are not present.

I think this book shows more than anything how the creative process is shaped by many people. The book is an earlier version of what becomes the Star Wars movie. Although quite competent in it's written novelization, it lacks those special quirks and smoothness of delivery which the actors shaped in their own ways.

I usually prefer original books to movie adaptations. But I also seem to find original movies better when books are written using their screenplays. Such is the case here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Hope.