J.F. Juzwik's Reviews > Whispers of the Dead

Whispers of the Dead by Simon Beckett

Apr 19, 11

Read in March, 2010

Whispers of the Dead is a dark thriller, featuring Dr. David Hunter, a British forensic anthropologist. He leaves his native London for Tennessee with the purpose of conducting research at the legendary Body Farm, as well as to visit his mentor and director of the facility, Tom Leiberman. When Tom is called to assist with a homicide investigation, he wants David on his team.

The bodies begin to pile up, and trust me--the crime scenes are pictures you don't want in your head for too long. Danger lurks for members of the team, and needless to say, time is of the essence to find the individual responsible.

I know what you're thinking: Another serial killer story--yawn! But, guess what. You're as wrong as you can be. The deeper I got into this, and the more I got to know of the characters, the harder it was to put down.

This is not anywhere near the 'typical' psychopath/sociopath tale. You'll know that as soon as you start getting the story from the killer's point of view, which Beckett shares with us. The killer's thoughts and overall philosophy are creepy as hell, and believe me, you'll be turning those pages very quickly.

This is an edgy mystery, extremely graphic, and the end packs a helluva wallop. And that's not all - snooping around to get some author info, I discovered that Whispers is the third in a series featuring Dr. Hunter. Now, if you're like me, about the time you're halfway through the second book in most series 'featuring' a specific character, you're searching the fine print for the killer's phone number so you can arrange for him to quietly, and permanently, dispose of this so-called 'recurring star' long before Book 3 is even drafted. There is nothing more tedious than reliving so-and-so's 'lonely' past, 'dismal' present, and 'bleak' future over and over and..., well, you get my drift. But, not so here. This is a solid three-dimensional character. He's not some flat Jack's-a-dull-boy dud forced upon you on every other page.

Dr. Hunter's story begins in The Chemistry of Death and continues in Written in Bones. Haven't read these yet, but you can bet I'm pulling a hard reverse here to begin at the beginning with this doc. This is good stuff, people, and I recommend it highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers of the Dead.