Connie Kuntz's Reviews > Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder

Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins

Apr 28, 11

Recommended for: Homeschoolers
Read from April 19 to 28, 2011, read count: Once

Hal J Daniel III wrote an excellent collection of poetry entitled Animal Behavior. In Daniel's collection, he references Richard Dawkins. That is why I decided to read up on Dawkins; so I could further understand and enjoy Daniel's dynamic poetry. I do love the poetry that ignites my inner dramaturg.

Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, among other things, is revered by some, loathed by others, respected by moi. After reading this book, I now know I have no choice but to read at least one science book per theatre or film gig.

If I had read this book prior to writing the narration for The Emperor & the Nightingale, I guarantee my script would have been totally different. I probably would have spent more time focusing on why the Nightingale (a female, alone) really sang.

This book is filled with detail. The three concepts I'll "take" from this book are:

(1) The more one thinks, the more coincidences one will experience. I never thought of that before and now I'm quite sure I'll never forget the concept.

(2) Dawkins debate of Jung's collective subconscious. This is a concept I used to rely on for, oh, nearly every aspect of my craft. After reading this book, I can't help but think that my relying on the collective subconscious was a way of merely leveling the artistic expectation, instead of lifting it.

(3)DNA has its own alphabet: G,C,T and A. When I learned that, I kind of got spooked. Then I suddenly remembered we only have 26 letters in our alphabet. Then I got spooked even more.

This book isn't preachy, but it is instructive. I think I'll read The Selfish Gene next. Great bibliography in the back and a very helpful index for looking up interesting facts. This is a book to buy, not borrow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unweaving the Rainbow.

04/19/2011 page 46
04/20/2011 page 138
39.0% "I would like to redact my statement claiming that Dawkins is "fired UP." I am now almost half way into the book and his tone changed from mega-irked to mellowly instructive. I am enjoying this book a great deal."