Elli's Reviews > Dragon Chica

Dragon Chica by May-lee Chai

4199685
Apr 28, 11

bookshelves: family-relationships, immigrant-issues, refugees, women, cambodia
Read from April 19 to 28, 2011

It's hard enough anyway for a single parent family to make a go of it, but for a refugee family from cambodia, a widowed mother with five youngsters, it's really hard. The point of view is from Nea, the second eldest. There are advantages in a strong family like this and one of them is when you know that for one reason or another deep down, it's all of you vs. the rest of the world. It may be somewhat fuelled by the alienation from the mainstream people. Certainly we all know that a certain Baptist church sponsored us, but we also know that not everyone in the church was gung ho for this activity, and that every bit of clothing and everything in the trailer was provided by these people. And they know it, too. Can we both fit the role and keep our own autonomy at the same time? And as always, the kids at school, the people at the job, etc.,etc. The family does find that they do have relatives in this country, and they join them, but does that solve it all? Or does it present more problems.
The book is very well done. It follows the perp from childhood on up, but is definitely not a YA book. You would have to experience and know some things from both an adult and a YA perspective, otherwise too much would just not make sense.
It's a good book, well written, and it's author gives a very understandable perspective on this status and adaptation of these refugees. Three dimensional characters, story, and plot as well as the point of view couldn't add better to the total presentation. Especially for a western geared audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Chica.

04/27/2011 page 80
31.0% "Chinese Cambodian refugee family, mother and 5 children, who has fled to the U.S. Acclimating to the culture. Through the eyes of the second-oldest daughter."