Elizabeth 's Reviews > Immodest Acts: The Life of a Lesbian Nun in Renaissance Italy

Immodest Acts by Judith C. Brown

** spoiler alert ** The subtitle lied. Benedetta Carlini was not a lesbian. She was a mystic. And possibly a sexual predator. She didn't have the category of lesbian, she seems to have experienced heterosexual arousal vis-a-vis Jesus as well, and the lesbianism was not the only thing that made her fucked up. There was also a king hell lot of narcissism, "holy anorexia," and self-mutilation.

Ballsy, though. I have to give her credit for having the nerve to give herself stigmata as part of her years-long campaign to be acknowledged as a saintly visionary in the tradition of Catherine of Siena.

Brown really should not have gone for the sex appeal in the subtitle & introduction. It's a relatively minor part of the story and undercuts the central tension of this microhistory: is Carlini faking the visions? Will she be found out?

Not a good introduction to microhistory or the history of sexuality, but a good solid piece of the former.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immodest Acts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Oh, WOW.

Elizabeth  Moira wrote: "Oh, WOW."

message 3: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Elizabeth wrote: "Moira wrote: "Oh, WOW."
I KNOW! I ran across a mention of this in a microhistory article and was instantly captivated."

Just the title is captivating!