Denise's Reviews > The Devil to Pay

The Devil to Pay by Liz Carlyle

I keep thinking that eventually I will read a Liz Carlyle book that just doesn't do it for me. Well this wasn't the one! I absolutely loved this book! Devellyn was just awesome. He was a big giant of a man, but he acted like a little lost puppy. He is so awkward and sweet.. but he is also thoughtless and selfish, but not when it comes to Sidonie. For example:

“I beg your pardon?”

“Nothing,” he growled. “I misspoke. What did you say about oranges?”
--------------
Or when she was asking him about his latest mistress, she was under the mistaken impression that he tossed her out, when actually all of his past mistresses ( and there were something like 8 in the past year) had all dumped him:

The marquess shrugged, as if his failings did not matter, and drifted closer to the window, where he stood looking out at the fading sunlight. “The truth is, Sidonie, I don’t fare well with women.” He spoke coolly, and without looking at her. “It is my own fault, of course. I…I neglect them. I forget where I’m supposed to be, and when I’m supposed to be there. I’m irresponsible. I drink to excess, gamble to excess, and sometimes I brawl. I never remember special occasions. And I very often go to sleep before they’ve…

“You did not,” she answered. “But a full disclosure of one’s fidelity, or even one’s skill in the bedroom, is not, strictly speaking, necessary before having dinner with someone.”

... Sigh.... you just gotta love this guy!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil to Pay.

Quotes Denise Liked

Liz Carlyle
“The truth is, Sidonie, I don’t fare well with women.” He spoke coolly, and without looking at her. “It is my own fault, of course. I…I neglect them. I forget where I’m supposed to be, and when I’m supposed to be there. I’m irresponsible. I drink to excess, gamble to excess, and sometimes I brawl. I never remember special occasions. And I very often go to sleep before they’ve…well, never mind that.” Devellyn fell silent for a moment. “And I cheat on them,” he quietly added. “Dreadfully. Did I mention that?”

Devellyn smiled down at her a little wearily. “Ah, Sid, I have no charm at all, have I?” he said almost regretfully.”
Liz Carlyle, The Devil to Pay

Liz Carlyle
“Sidonie,” he said, his voice strangely hoarse. “You are the most—I mean, you are so…I find you…ah, devil take it! Never mind!”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Nothing,” he growled. “I misspoke. What did you say about oranges?”
Liz Carlyle, The Devil to Pay

Lisa Kay Denise, I loved this one too! Nice subtle little twists, making it sweet and naughty. Great review; it brought back the tone of the book for me. Thanks!

Denise I just love Liz Carlyle! I have all her books and am reading them in chronological order rather than series order. I love how they are all intertwined somehow. I am trying to take them slowly so I don't burn out on her books.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (last edited Apr 24, 2011 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay I have been reading her for years. She is one of my favs and just recently I kind of burned out on her. But I still re-read some of her older ones. You are right to go slow, if you are like me. I hate to burn out on an author.

Lisa Kay Oh, I almost forgot! ♥Devellyn♥

Denise lol.. ♥ Devellyn ♥

Netanella thanks for the quotation - one of my favorite passages, too!