Paul Johnson's Reviews > Meanwhile

Meanwhile by Jason Shiga

M_50x66
Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, concept, young-reader

Man I was so excited when I saw this book. I have been wanting to make a choose-you-own-adventure graphic novel for years. Meanwhile, Jason Shiga was out doing it. One-upmanship aside, this is a pretty interesting book. I would have doe it a little differently, but for a groundbreaking genre, it's quite fun. There are some weird twists, strange characters, it even gets a little meta (and we all love that, don't we?) I'll admit it, I cheated, but I got through all the endings. I stops making sense at some point, but that's half the adventure. All in all, though, it is a little one-dimensional. The story revolves around Jimmy and a time machine, along with some other nasty inventions. There are many paths, but none of them go too far. I kept on hoping there would be some twist or turn that never happened. The best part of this book is actually reading it, following all those little lines through various pages. Definitely worth a look, if not just to see something you probably haven't seen before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meanwhile.