Steven Peterson's Reviews > Latent Variable Models: An Introduction to Factor, Path, and Structural Equation Analysis [With CDROM]

Latent Variable Models by John C. Loehlin

Apr 19, 2011

This is an accessible survey of structural equation models. This is a technique that, in its fullest version, combines factor analysis with path analysis. It uses maximum likelihood estimation. This is a very potent analytical tool that can provide insights to the dynamics of models. I am a political scientist; I have used SEM to assess what factors affect political phenomena.

This volume? It is readable. Some works feature scores of equations and become difficult for those who are not mathematically well attuned. In the process of reading the book, people will get some sense of different software packages (e.g., LISREL, EQS, or AMOS--the latter of which is the program that I use). There are a small handful of books on SEM that have been particularly useful to me. And this is one of that small number of key works that I depend upon in understanding this tool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Latent Variable Models.