Lisa's Reviews > The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette

The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Mari... by Susie Kelly

Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: kindle, travel, britain, 21stcentury
Recommended to Lisa by: Tom (A Common Reader)
Recommended for: Francophiles
Read from April 19 to 20, 2011, read count: 1

I found out about this book via A Common Reader, http://acommonreader.org/review-the-v... and purchased a copy via Smashbooks, because for some inexplicable reason it wasn't available in the regular Kindle way for Australian readers. It was amazingly cheap because the Aussie dollar is riding so high at the moment.
H V Morton will always be my favourite travel writer, but this tale of a cycling tour to retrace the doomed journeys of Marie Antoinette is entertaining. Kelly does what I do when I travel, she finds out about the places she's going to so that she understands something of the background and culture of her destinations. She is irretrievably British right down to her allusions to boarding school, and her self-deprecating humour is sometimes matched by wry observations about French history and manners, but she has an obvious affection for France which makes the book a pleasure to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette.

04/19/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (last edited Apr 20, 2011 10:00AM) (new)

Teresa This reminds me that I've had Morton's book on London here, waiting to be read, for quite some time now.

Lisa wrote: "Kelly does what I do when I travel, she finds out about the places she's going to so that she understands something of the background and culture of her destinations."

You mean everyone doesn't do that! ;)

Lisa Teresa wrote: "This reminds me that I've had Morton's book on London here, waiting to be read, for quite some time now.

message 3: by Teresa (last edited Apr 19, 2011 08:40PM) (new)

Teresa Lisa wrote: "From what I've seen and heard, many people rely on reading a paragraph out of the Lonely Planet or DK book while they're on the bus/plane/train. Me, I can't see the point in spending all that time and money to go somewhere without doing a bit of reading up about the place before I leave. "

Yeah, I was trying to be facetious. :) I figured that's what most people do, though I don't. I agree about the time and money, plus I want to make sure I get the most out of the place I'm traveling to, because I'm not likely to be able to go back again.

Lisa Teresa wrote: "Lisa wrote: "From what I've seen and heard, many people rely on reading a paragraph out of the Lonely Planet or DK book while they're on the bus/plane/train. Me, I can't see the point in spending a..."Ah, *chuckle* we need a 'facetious comment' icon here!

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Lisa wrote: "Ah, *chuckle* we need a 'facetious comment' icon here!"

I agree! Ever since emoticons became the thing, I've been saying I need one for sarcasm. The closest, I think, is this one: ;) But it's still not precise enough. I googled it and found others that supposedly denote sarcasm, but they don't work for me either.