Jamie's Reviews > Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin

Henry and June by Anaïs Nin

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, re-read
Read in January, 2003

My initial infatuation with Anais Nin began with her diaries. I've kept a diary since I learned how to write sentences and haven't really ever stopped. I don't know what I intended to accomplish with this, I guess I thought it would be interesting to have a record of my life someday, though in reality, my diaries were much more trite.

I began reading Nin when I was 18, beginning with Henry and June. The story itself was fairly interesting, any true-life story good enough to be published usually is. Though the most impressive thing about her diaries is her style and reflections. After reading this, my own diaries improved ten-fold. More than just accounting for events and which boy I liked most, my journal transformed into honest portraits of those that I loved, hilarious commentary on events and feelings. Not just feelings, but feelings on feelings. I thank Anais Nin for that.

Now I'm at a point in my life where I need to re-read this. This time for the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henry and June.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tricia (new) - added it

Tricia What a great review! I think that reading a great writer helps your own writing, whether it's short stories or memoirs. This just moved up my to-read list! I've always wanted to read her, but never knew where to start.