Lori's Reviews > Mansfield Park

F_50x66
Feb 29, 08

bookshelves: 2008, fiction
Read in February, 2008

Lawsie mercy, this book is long. Unnecessarily so. Still, it's Jane Austen. And I like Jane Austen.

The story is disappointing in that the details of the slowly moving plot take up two volumes, while the actual story of the lovers you are rooting for unfolds only in the last ten pages.

But, Jane Austen's genius was on display, particularly in her descriptions of Mrs. Norris. She has a gift for bringing to light the inner thinking of those whose self-sacrifice is informed only by their selfishness. It's a hard bit to convey to the reader, but every time she does, it is with such ease and clarity that you are left nodding your head - either because you know someone who is just like that or, heaven forbid, you realize you ARE one of those people.

One day I will read this book again with the purpose of recording all of these instances in my personal volume entitled "What I Consider Superior Writing."

I'm a Jane Austen fan. And, while this book isn't my favorite of her works, I still enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mansfield Park.