Karina's Reviews > Love the One You're With

Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin

May 18, 08

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction-chick-lit, favorites
Recommended for: all lovers of women's fiction or just a good read
Read in May, 2008

I remember when Emily Giffin's first book came out, and since it dealt with cheating, I did not pick it up for the longest time. Then I read a thoroughly positive review of it (I think on chicklitbooks.com, which may no longer be around) and I decided I had to see what the fuss was about.

The reviewer did not do the book justice. It grabbed me from page one and wouldn't let go, even when it was dealing with messy topics such as betraying your best friend.

Since that first book, I have run out to buy each and every one of Emily Giffin's books, and even got one autographed by her. As much as I loved them all, I preferred the first one since on some level, it was just more emotionally gripping than the others. Love the One You're With has that same emotional depth, that same messiness that you cringe at but can't look away from or stop reading.

Ellen finally has all that she's dreamed of: a handsome husband she loves, a successful and satisfying career as a photographer, and an apartment in the city she loves. Then, walking across a random street, she sees the one other love of her life: Leo. Leo recognizes Ellen, calls her, and they talk; he then offers her the job of her career, which she cannot turn down. She chooses not to tell either her husband or best friend about this encounter, thinking it will end at this, but it doesn't. And the more she sees Leo, the more she questions her life with Andy, especially once they leave NY for Atlanta.

I won't say more since I don't want to give it away, but if you love a good, fast, riveting read, definitely pick this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love the One You're With.