Alisa's Reviews > Lord of Misrule

Lord of Misrule by Rachel Caine

Apr 19, 11

Ok, I really love this series, but I'm getting really, really tired of these books ending on a cliffhanger. I don't mind when an author leaves an opening for more books in a series because, when you get right down to it, this is a source of income for them, and they want people to keep reading their books. Book two ends this way, where all the plot lines of that particular installment were wrapped up, but Claire does something at the very end of the book that leaves things open for another book in the series (which is all I can say without spoilers). But books one and three through five have ended mid-plot and it's driving me crazy. Check out the very last lines of these books:

Book one: They all screamed as the knife came down.
Come on! How the hell do you end a book on that note??

Book three: "Tell her that her father's come to visit," he said, and smiled. "Aren't family reunions nice?"
This might not seem like that much of a cliffhanger, but trust me when I tell you it is. A scary man has come to town, our heroine and her friends and family are in grave peril, and the book just ends.

Book four: She'd just made Shane the bait.
Again, in the middle of the plot, BAM! End of book.

Book five: "Then let's begin our celebration, and in the morning, we'll talk about how Morganville will be run from now on. According to my wishes."
Now, the most recent installment does it again.

Honestly, books one and two should have been one book, and apparently books three through six should be one book as well. God forbid she end book six on a cliffhanger too. I might just have to track her down and send nasty notes to her. There might be some feeling that because these are billed as young adult books, they need to be kept short, but that's been completely disproven by the 800 page Harry Potter books that were devoured by many a young reader.

Anyway, despite the ending, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Ms. Caine is a talented author -- she writes interesting characters and the pace is always pretty brisk. I would recommend this book and this series to anyone, although I would recommend starting with book 1. She does a good job of getting you caught up at the beginning of each book, but the further you go in the series, the more you need to understand the backstory.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Misrule.