Thomas Taylor's Reviews > The Heroes

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

Apr 19, 11

Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

The Heroes is a very interesting book to me. I get the feeling that I jumped into Joe Abercrombie's world a few books late and I fully plan to go back and read the previous books.

Essentially the Heroes is a dark, gritty and intelligent look at war, in both a harsh and whimsical view simultaneously. The book follows two warring sides fighting over a barren mountainside for its strategic value. (and no other)

You're taken through the stories of lowly privates all the way up to the King's advisors and leaders of the opposition, and their thugs. You're treated to a world view by just about every level of the military on both sides.

It can be a little confusing to read as the perspective switches from side to side, and you have to pay attention, because a character you know could be getting butchered from the perspective of a character who does not know him, and you have to realize someone you have some pages invested in is about to get disemboweled.

It can be a little slow in places, and its definitely violent, but if you like dark, gritty, black humor, and extremely well written combat this is a refreshing book to read. However, if you don't like characters you like getting murdered in brutal ways...then you might want to skip it. For me, it lent an air of realism.

I recommend this book, but I'm reasonably sure you should start with "The Blade Itself" and work your way up to "The Heroes" in the timeline, if you're particular about that sort of thing. As it was, I jumped in mid-stream and really enjoyed it.

-T
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroes.