Diane's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

1196779
Apr 19, 11

Read in April, 2011

The audiobook version of this book was my companion through most of March and early April as I schlepped my way to and from school. I choose my audio books the same way many people choose all their reading, with a quick browse through the "new stuff" section. I must confess I had never heard of Canadian author Louise Penny but I now intend to go back and read all five of the titles that precede this one. Bury Your Dead is the sixth in a mystery series featuring Chief Inspector Gamache who works for the Surete du Quebec. This particular episode takes place in Quebec City and the village of Three Pines in the dead (in more ways than one) of winter. Penny's descriptions of Quebec City are beautiful but were not much appreciated by yours truly at the end of a long winter, however I enjoyed the complex story, characterization and excellent creation of atmosphere. Penny, an anglophone, obviously loves Quebec and she does the culture and geography proud. My only criticism is the use of terms like "cops" and "kids" when the more formal "police" and "children" would be more appropriate and more realistic. Ralph Cosham an ex-pat Brit/American actor provides excellent narration. For some reason his slight British accent is perfect for the story. Highly recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.