Kirsty's Reviews > Bears, Recycling and Confusing Time Paradoxes

Bears, Recycling and Confusing Time Paradoxes by Greg X. Graves

May 10, 11

bookshelves: arc-review-copy, fantasy, fiction, humour, short-stories, ebook
Recommended to Kirsty by: Review copy from author
Read on May 02, 2011

This has to be one of the most bizarre collections of stories I have ever read. When the author contacted me to ask if I would like to review the book, it sounded like it would be a fun, maybe crazy, read. Crazy is an understatement. This book takes crazy to a whole new level. Each story is only a few pages long, and at the end of each page is a moral that, somehow, links to the story. Sounds pretty straightforward right? A kind of Aesop’s Fables for adults, if you will. But then consider that the morals are only very loosely linked to the actual stories. That the morals are, regularly, even more strange than the stories themselves. Oh, and sometimes we have no idea how the moral connects to the story whatsoever. Confused? Yes, I was too.

Confusion, though, gives way to humour in this collection of stories. ‘Serious’ readers need not apply. There has to be a huge level of suspended belief when reading this collection. If you are the kind of reader that can just open a book and go along for the ride, you will love it. After the initial shock at just how strange some of these stories are, the humour starts to shine through and I found myself smiling a lot whilst reading. The author clearly has a vivid imagination and this collection is the perfect showcase of that. The writing was pretty good but I sometims found the plots difficult to follow.

All things considered, it did make me smile, but it wasn’t for me. That said, I think that it would be a good read for those who like light, humourous reads and for fans of speculative short fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bears, Recycling and Confusing Time Paradoxes.

05/01/2011
19.0% "Bizarre."
05/02/2011
100.0% "Review to follow..."