Stephanie's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

1972200
Jun 27, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 25 to June 01, 2011

After catching an episode of Game of Thrones on HBO, I decided to pick up the book and find out what all the buzz was about. I was pleasantly surprised at how close the TV show was to the book.

The story of Game of Thrones is a complicated story with multiple characters. The chapters in the book follow different characters within the story. The frustrating aspect of the book and storyline is that there are way too many characters to follow. I practically had to keep Wiki open the entire time I was reading the book to reference all the different characters because you tend to get them all mixed up.

The series, A Song of Fire and Ice, is about Seven Kingdoms. Game of Thrones is the first book of the series and it starts out following the Stark Family, a family that governs the North but fall under the reign of King Robert Baratheon in King's Landing.

As the King's Hand (the second in command after the King) dies, King Baratheon travels North to ask Eddark Stark to be his new Hand. While the King is visiting the Stark Family, a tragic accident happens to Bran Stark, the second to youngest son in the family. That accident sets off a series of events that eventually lead to a kingdom of chaos. Thus, the title's name of A Game of Thrones.

The story truly is a game as you read on to find out each family's move (there are several powerful families that are introduced and cover across the vast array within the realm of the Seven Kingdoms) in an intricate game of lies, deception, betrayal, honor and loyalty.

There are twists and surprises that throw you off because George R.R. Martin is definitely not afraid to kill off characters. I was pretty shocked as to what happens in this first book but it definitely leaves you wanting to read more.

After following the TV show and reading the book, I have to say that both are great to read and to watch! I can't wait to read the next book in this series! And I definitely can't wait until the next season premieres on HBO!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.