Kate's Reviews > The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Mar 07, 08

bookshelves: children-s-books

I believe this book is THE MAJOR CAUSE of the childhood obesity epidemic currently sweeping the nation. Still, nice illustrations.
38 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

message 1: by Graeme (new)

Graeme
Perhaps a revised edition is in order?

"The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Now with Splenda and Olestra!)"

Chris I love how you were able to put aside the book's message (that it's ok to eat everything in sight and grow up to be a big fatso) in order to give some props to the illustrations. I wish more people were able to put aside their biases to give credit where credit is due.

message 3: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Flores Wow. I found this review quite hilarious. I had never before considered the connection.
When I first read this book, in like... kindergarten, I don't recall feeling the need to eat everything in sight, but perhaps others did? And I mean really, he only took one bite... of everything. lol.

Susan Never occured to me in that manner. I have to think about this!

message 5: by Shaquisha (new)

Shaquisha D'naynay so you want to blame the childhood obesity epidemic on this childhood book? wouldn't that be the same as saying THE MAJOR CAUSE of children getting hit by trains is The Little Engine That Could?

Kate Shaquisha wrote: "so you want to blame the childhood obesity epidemic on this childhood book? wouldn't that be the same as saying THE MAJOR CAUSE of children getting hit by trains is The Little Engine That Could?"

Oh, no. No child gets hit by a train in "The Little Engine that Could." If you've read my reveiw of "The Little Engine that Could" you would know that I blame that book for engendering false hope among the masses who eventuallty realize at some point in their lives that they probably can't, leading them to despair and ennui.

message 7: by Shaquisha (new)

Shaquisha D'naynay Kate wrote: "Shaquisha wrote: "so you want to blame the childhood obesity epidemic on this childhood book? wouldn't that be the same as saying THE MAJOR CAUSE of children getting hit by trains is The Little Eng..."

okay, i can't tell if you're just having fun or actually believe this crock. i'm hoping for the former, but if the latter is the case, i'm sorry. children's books are meant to inspire and teach children.

Kate Shaquisha, you are taking this WAY too seriously! Of COURSE I'm having fun! Puhleazze lighten up! ;)

message 9: by Shaquisha (new)

Shaquisha D'naynay Kate wrote: "Shaquisha, you are taking this WAY too seriously! Of COURSE I'm having fun! Puhleazze lighten up! ;)"

haha, just making sure. there probably are people out there that would take this stance and defend it til the end of time. lol

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Yeah. I guess on the internet you can never be too sure!

Ellen Barlow ummmm this book was written a long time ago...way before kids started getting fat
stop blaming a book for your problems

message 12: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Get a GRIP Ellen! I'm JOKING! I'm BEING DROLL! COPE! Yeesh! Are you capable of laughing?

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin You know what You who wrote the review take things way too seriosly

message 14: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Hey umm say joking u no just so people know

Kristi wow... i was watching Winnie the Pooh the other night with my toddler and sadly remembered how obsessed he is with eating in EVERY episode. I think he is the MAJOR CAUSE of the Obesity epidemic for sure. LOL

message 16: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Oh my God, you're right! THAT'S why I have this extra 30 pounds! ;=)

message 17: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Oh, god I thought you were serious for a minute!! Dam the fact that you can't read emotions of the internet! Haha

Kristina Garcia What? It's not the book, it's how one interprets it. And I doubt this is the reason as to why children are becoming obese and are diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

message 19: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Okay, Kristina, you really need to check your humor quotient. I'm JOKING! PULLING YOUR LEG! Really! Laugh a little!

LoriAnn Kocialski You MUST be kidding?

message 21: by Aura (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aura LOL!

Elliepips What are you on about just because a child has read a book it doesn't mean they will become fat it's like saying if a child sings Humpty Dumpty kids are going to start jumping off Walls
This book is clever and unique and has no cause towards obesity

message 23: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Darlin, I'm just kidding. ;)

Sandy Tinsdale Hmmmm he did eat fruit all week which is good and saved all that high fat, high sugar 'occasional' food for a weekend binge. He did however turn out to be a light, slim, dainty butterfly regardless. So maybe the subliminal message of this story is not childhood obesity but bulemia or Jenny Craig. Coz really how did he get looking so good?!

message 25: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Great critique of my critque! Thanks!

Joshua Piorier This review is gonna have all the conspiracy theorists and psychologists going bananas if it is ever found...

Natasha Dowse tish is a good fun book for children to read and look at the pictures

Loretta A. Gallagher I hope you like it

Annie It had to eat and get fat, it was a caterpillar. It's not too hard to explain to a child, I know my mom explained it that way, and it never occurred to me to overeat. If anything attributes to overeating, it's probably the cookie monster...