Jackie's Reviews > The Robber Bride

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

Apr 19, 11

Read in April, 2011

I've never read the Handmaid's Tale, but I figured I should read some Margaret Atwood. I picked this up at my favorite used bookstore in DC, and oh, man, I am glad I did, because it's probably the best book I've read in a while. This Margaret Atwood lady really knows how to get into the female psyche. The book is not really so much about Zenia (the evil seductress) as it is the three women whose lives she becomes a part of. Tony, Charis, and Roz met in college, but are three very different women (a college professor, a new-age hippie, and a strong business woman) living in 1980s Toronto balancing work, relationships, life, etc. Atwood provides an engaging look into each of their lives, past and present and seamlessly ties the stories together with the character of Zenia, as well as themes of feminism, war, etc. For those smartypants literature people there seems to be plenty of scholarship floating around out there about this book. I can't wait to read the Handmaid's Tale, and every other Margaret Atwood book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Robber Bride.