Lynn Buschhoff's Reviews > A Gate at the Stairs

F 50x66
Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: big-disappointments
Read in April, 2011

I tend to be a little skeptical about books written by women. I am not proud of this, just resigned to it. This book is a number one example of why. That any 20 year old woman could be as self-absorbed, cynical and depressed as the narrator makes one believe in Armageddon. The only character that the reader could care about in this book , a mixed race adopted child, is written out of the story about half way through so the narrator can indulge in pages of self-pitying description of leaves, and fields, and unlovable people. When her brother is killed, I almost cheered for his escape from the bleak existence of his sister and his family.

Yuck, Yuck. Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres- another book that makes me want to scream," Get a Life- Get Over It" was almost a comedy compared to this book.
Can you tell I didn't like this book? I finished it hoping for its redemption. Now I just resent wasting the time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gate at the Stairs.

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Hey Lynn! I hated this book, too! But for different reasons. I really hated it, though.

message 2: by Lynn (new) - rated it 1 star

Lynn Buschhoff I bet I hated it even more than you did!