Isamlq's Reviews > Wherever You Go

** spoiler alert **
Drama,
Drama,
Drama!

Maybe I read Wherever You Go at the wrong time because normally I do enjoy a mix of the sweet, sappy even emotional. But I think the drama here was just too much for me. Was it too much like a noon time drama? You decide:

- That her first ever boyfriend had died tragically only to come back as a ghost (who narrates in second person btw…gah!)
- That his friends kind of blame her for how he died.
- That said blame leads to a mutual distancing of them from her and of her from them.
- That said distancing makes her stand out in the eyes of the dead guy’s best friend.
- That he (the best friend) has sort of been carrying a torch for her.
- That said best friend, like the dead boyfriend also happens to come from a well-to-do family while said girl doesn’t.
- That said girl’s life is actually much more complicated: With not much of a social life, she has taken to mothering her little sister in their usually absent mom’s stead (again they aren’t from a well-to-do family.)
- That life gets even more complicated when Aldo, her grandfather -suffering from Alzheimer's!- comes to live them.
- And that dead ghost boyfriend has taken to hanging out with the only person who can see him: Aldo, making the latter seem a little more out of it!
- That given all those complications, the dead boyfriend’s best friend has taken it upon himself to fix things/ make things easier for her.
- That they fall in love… but with not without some other complications caused by the meddling of the one of the dead boyfriend’s friends.

So yeah, there's too much drama for one book, but I will admit to liking how loyal Holly was to her family. Since their circumstances did dictate that their mom be mostly absent, I could swallow said absence. My biggest problem was when the mother finally played a role, what does she do? She sort of pushes her daughter to talk to the guy causing her daughter’s hurt: whatever happened motherly protective tendencies or at least sympathy over not wanting to look like a slob in front of a guy? Actually, scratch that: I had a lot of problems with this one, foremost of which: drama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wherever You Go.

04/19/2011 "eh... why not?" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Say (new) - rated it 5 stars

Say oh u didnt like it? too bad, i love it! =)

message 2: by Isamlq (last edited Apr 20, 2011 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isamlq Say wrote: "oh u didnt like it? too bad, i love it! =)"

"ehh..." it was just OK... I didnt love it:)

message 3: by Say (new) - rated it 5 stars

Say :)

Isamlq :( i went over my review.. walang positive! demote to two stars... bwahaha

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

love this review~