Jillian's Reviews > Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 03, 2008

did not like it
Recommended for: anyone wanting to spoon their eyes out
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** [pardon any grammatical/spelling errors, I'm not reading this over again--I didn't get much sleep obviously:]

If I could give this book a lower score, I absolutely would. When you create a book series, there tends to be an issue with the next book that comes out in the series having to be better than the last. Of course that is always a possibility for stories such as Harry Potter, where the plot is laced through all of the books and leads to an ultimate climax and resolution in the final book. Stephenie Meyer did not follow this example in any way, shape, or form.

Instead of possibly creating an internal plot that would follow the entire series, every book has...well, I cannot justify a plot in any of the books, save the first one (that was in the last 100 pages of the book), so I'll try to skim sweetly over this. For her last attempt, strike 4 on my count, Meyer rides this train till there are no more tracks; taking the train, and all of it's passengers on a bumpy, uncomfortable, and unforgivable journey no one had prepared for.

Bella's half-breed child shouldn't even exist, given Meyer's specific "VAMPIRES CANNOT HAVE CHILDREN", so of course she gives a pathetic, if not confusing, explanation to how Edward gets Bella pregnant. The child's name itself is atrocious; I honestly hope no one loves this series enough to name their own child that, out of their "love for Stephenie Meyer."

Let's remember what I said before: there is not a sustaining plot throughout these books, besides the fact that Bella wants to become a vampire; but even that is stretching it. So when Bella becomes pregnant, it's almost as if Meyer suddenly thought, "PLOT!" and took off at the speed of light in a direction that flabbergasted me. Has she even mentioned children in this entire book series? Besides the fact that little mutant Nessie takes the entire stage, Bella's giving birth to a mutant that should not exist (X-Men anyone?) seems to be the only thing that drives this story forward. Because otherwise, the story would have ended. Bella got married, Bella somehow someway got pregnant, Bella had a half-breed baby, Bella becomes a vampire, Jacob creepily imprints on said baby, and everyone lives freakishly happily ever after.

I shouldn't have to describe how horrific it is that the entire 800-pages of the final novel is about a baby. Bella seemed to move to Forks and somehow grow up in a year, getting married and having a baby, and living for forever with her ridiculously good-looking husband. I understand that Bella made the choice for herself, doesn't mean I have to think it was a good one. Or a good example for young girls to follow. I'm not going to step up on the soap box and preach about how many horrible morals this gives to girl's of today's generation (after feminism has fought to get us this far) because if they haven't read a cheap romance novel yet, they certainly will. Guys looking to date girls of that generation should beware however. If you don't sparkle in the sun, devote every step you take and every move you make to her, and like to watch her sleep, you might not have much of a chance.

But, back to the story, cough, I mean lack thereof. The Volturi coming in deemed itself, once again, random and overreaching for Meyer. As if she just wanted them to show up and have an epic battle, but it wasn't really epic and it didn't serve much of a point. However, if I was a 1000-year-old vampire, I'm sure I'd be bored enough to care about someone as trivial as Bella Swan too.

1/3 of the novel is in Jacob's perspective, and to be honest, that was the one part I enjoyed (somewhat). Only because I think Jacob was Meyer's best character. He shall forever be known as the character with a personality. However, as Meyer had introduced me to Jacob, and gave me reason to like him, she also had the power to do the opposite. Thank you, Stephenie Meyer for ruining one of the only realistic characters you created. *two thumbs way down* Not only did Jacob CREEP me out, he was so completely overbearing and whiny, I couldn't wait to get back to Bella, the whining queen! His imprinting on little Nessie just put the icing on the shit-cake I had been eating for the past 400 pages. I had assumed we went passed the pedophilia part with Quil, and come on, he imprinted on EDWARD AND BELLA'S BABY? Why couldn't he have imprinted on a 35-year-old alcoholic with an abusive husband and Meyer could give someone who needs saving a fighting chance by someone with super powers.

By this point, I was going to take an example from New Moon and jump off a cliff just to save myself from the rest of the book.

But I didn't, and I should have.

The rest of the book was almost as boring and laughable as the first half, but at least the first half had (gasp) fade-to-black sensual scenes.

As many people have been saying, this book is exactly like 1,000 stories on FanFiction.net--and if I can give you any advice, find a story on there and it might be a lot better than reading this.

And it would probably be 700 pages less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Dawn.

05/27 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-50 of 131) </span> <span class="smallText">(131 new)</span>

Britney I've been reading reviews like yours all day, and I'm so glad I didn't bother to spend money on this book. I figure it'll be good for a laugh when I get it from the library.

Jillian It's extraordinarily easy to laugh at--be very happy you didn't buy it.

message 3: by Laurie (last edited Aug 04, 2008 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Laurie Ya this book was a disapointment, but your review is fantastic! My favorite part was "His imprinting on little Nessie just put the icing on the shit-cake I had been eating for the past 400 pages." ROTFLOL!! That was classic!

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate All of you who hate the book just cause you didn't like ending need to get over it.
You were never a fan if you don't support the whole series.

Jillian Well thank you, Kate. I cannot express how much your words have affected me. I will certainly change my ways and succeed to fail at life.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate ut no rules were broken. She only said that vampires couldn't get pregnant. And Bella's not a vampire.
I loved the book.
It was different from what she's written.
She's spent so much time of her life trying to give us a series worth reading. When I think about how she must feel now--with her fans acting this way--it makes me sick. I cried whiles reading some the things people said about the series and SM. It makes me angry. People are mad because this book didn't give a good message to young adults;SM said that it was going to be more adult. nd we--the teens--should know that it's all fake.
People are mad about Nessie and her name.
About who Jake imrinted on.
That Bella got a perfect ending.
It's ridiculus.

message 7: by Jillian (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jillian Stephenie Meyer is an ADULT, I think she can handle the criticism. And as a published author, she is entitled to every review, good or bad, cruel and unusual or "fangirlish" and happy.

You do not need to be this upset by another person's opinion on the book. If you like it, that is fine. I am in no way trying to tell you to change your opinion. I am merely expressing my own.

Regarding your comment on fans of the books who didn't like Breaking Dawn, how can you insult them for having an opinion as strongly as you have yours? That itself deems hypocrisy.

I am not here to argue about a book. I left my honest opinion after reading it, and if you don't agree, I respect your opinion.

No, I did not like the book, in fact I rarely like the entire series. I met Stephenie Meyer at a book-signing and she is a nice, pleasant person. That does not completely eradicate the fact that she is a published author, who is paid to write. If she does not live up to the expectations of her readers, she will not continue to be as popular as she is. That is the way of the world, and you might want to get used to it.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Well it seems the people who criticize her and her books need to get used to it.
If you never liked the series you really didn't need to write this review upsetting fans--like me.
And she doesn't have to live up to nayones expectaions but her own. She writes the book so she can decide what goes in it.
I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier I just wasn't expecting this reaction from people--from fans.

message 9: by dawn (new) - rated it 1 star

dawn Thanks for your review. I wrote mine prior to reading any, and I might have been even more creeped out about the book than you. It is gross.

I was also upset by a story thread the noted that people don't need information about birth control--even if they are married. It is a new level of crazy. After all, every thing worked out ok. Sure there were risks with having Nellie, but everything worked out in the end. Mother, daughter, father and extended family ended the novel emotionally and physically well. Isn't that how unplanned pregnancies end?

message 10: by Audrey (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Audrey your review definitly helped me feel less weird about hating breaking dawn, i mean after i threw the book across the room, in spite and grief, i was like, "holy crap, this is the end of bella and edward...the worst end ever for them... what the fuck did u do Stephenie meyer?!"
and im still waiting for ashton kutcher to admit he punk'd us with this peice of crap end to my favorite series.

message 11: by Audrey (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Audrey oh and im still trying to figure what brand of crak ms.meyer was smoking when she published breaking dawn.

message 12: by Kate (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

Kate Wow.
I loved Breaking Dawn.
No one can say it wasn't the right ending because vampires can't have kids and blah, blah, blah.
The vampires can do what ever SM has them do.
I think it was a good ending to a series.
The book was darker and different.
It seems only the rational people like the end.

message 13: by Wendy (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Wendy I totally agree, BREAKING DAWN SUCKED ASS. No question about it. Kate shut up, if you were mature you would realize all the flaws in BK. And it's a perfectly normal response to be pissed. I have been a very dedicated fan of SM since when Twilight came out. I anxiousy obsessed over the series waiting for the realease of what was supposed to be the all great Breakign Dawn, end of the greatest series ever. Then when I read it I got sooo pissed. The dissapointment of the plot and charactors, the whole story went ot shit after the wedding scene. Everything was wrong and the romace that made the book so popular was absent. The message it's giving to all the fangirls is horrible. And the charactors totally acted wierd. The whole mutant baby thing? I mean come one while I was reading most of the book I was muttering WTF and comtemplating whether to throw the book out the window and stop reading. Only my loyalty kept me reading to the horrible end which was corny and gave the resolution everything anybobdy would want but in a crappy sad way. In my fury afterwards I was hoping it was just a joke for the longest time. The Stephanie Meyer I thought I knew definently could not have written BK. Or maybe she did, maybe she just got lucky with Twilight. The story premise was good with all the tension with the whole vampire love thing. And also it was painful to watch the pathetic attemp to keep Jake in the story. I mean I grew to love him from rereading the books over and over but seriously... So anyways Kate everyone has a right to their opinion and it doesn't mean your dumb or wrong if you judge a book maturely.

message 14: by Megan (last edited Aug 03, 2008 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan Jilly, (on comment 10) I couldn't agree more. I hadn't really thought that, but once I read it was like, YES! I can completely relate! She is an adult, and she should read the criticism. Whether she wants to go by it or not, it's her choice. In order to make her future books better, she needs to realize that they aren't anywhere near perfect and she should work at making them something more people will enjoy.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Jilly on her review, I was hugly dissapointed with this book, and will, like other, prentend that Eclipse was the end of the series. This plot was just too far in left field, is wholy unbelievable. It didn't follow the very cannon Stephenie set up...Renesmee shouldn't be possible (and how about that name huh?)

Honestly I could care less about what the feminists or the conservative family type people say about the sex and/or baby making stuff. The plot in general just plain didn't fit with the rest of the series....and I too was hoping for an all out war, but sadly there was none.

message 16: by Jillian (last edited Jul 14, 2012 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jillian This has simply come to course with those who are upset and disappointed in the lackluster effect of the last and final novel (which I would say the majority of readers in the world feel should be the best, if not the most climatic novel in a series) and those who truly enjoyed it for everything that it is.

I would hate for this conversation to stretch infinitely towards attempting to bar someone's opinion entirely, because that's not what a review is for.

I would hope that Stephenie Meyer sees these reviews, hopefully the ones who are not bashing her character as a human being, but are clearly stating what they thought would have like to see differently, and learn from them. I would hate to watch an author continue to write and never learn what his/her fans appreciate or did not appreciate. And that's why I think it's incredibly important for people to be as honest as possible--not to worry about her feelings, or that she might cry because of the way her fans have responded to something she worked very hard on.

Once again, criticism is a way of life when you put your creations on display. If you positively love this book, please understand that there are just as many (if not more) people who completely despised it.

I'm really glad you guys like my review, for something I wrote at 9am in the morning, I'm surprised I don't have as many grammatical mistakes I had previously thought.

message 17: by Sherrie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sherrie Breaking Dawn was worse than any poorly written fanfic and that's bad why? It's bad because SMeyer is making shitloads of money off of you and me. And what were her editors thinking? Were they so intimidated by the SMeyer machine that they gave her free reign? I don't know why I'm surprised...all successful "pop" writers go thru this...their editors are afraid to change anything because they don't want to offend the talent. (see $$$$ signs)This has happened to Stephen King and most recently to JK Rowling.

Oh..and I agree with Laurie, your comment: "His imprinting on little Nessie just put the icing on the shit-cake I had been eating for the past 400 pages." goes down with the ages! Great review.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate not mature enough?
Is my mother not mature enough cause she thinks you are all being rediculus. It's a fantasy novel so of course there are going to be weird things in it.
You are all seeing it the wrong way. Everyone I know-and that's a lot of people-loved the book. And most the people I know are adults. I'm pretty mature for my age thank I've been through more in my life than you could possibly imagine. So it's not maturity that's the issue. It's the person.
I' sorry if I was acting rude/mean before but just couldn't believe what fans were saying. I haven't one good reason as to why people hate the book.
It was dark.
It was different.
here was not a good plot.
we should've seen more edward/bella scenes.
i don't like that jake imrinted on nessie.
what kind of name is nessie.
there was no fight.
it didn't feel like steph wrote this.
i've heard them all and i can give an answer to all of them. i can explain all of them. I'm 15 and I totally see how this book came to be and where it went. I loved it. so did my mom. and our friends. my aunt. everyone i know.

message 19: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Don't let moronic fangirls get you down. Some people are so devoted to this CULT, they have lost the ability to reason like a normal human being.

message 20: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Kate,

Just because everyone inside your bubble like it, does not mean that it was by any means or stretch of the imagination "a good book". It just means you are fortunate enough to be on the same page as everyone you happen to know.

Also, when you mature as a reader (which your argument fails to prove you have), you will come to realize that a work of fantasy is not excused from possessing certain qualities, such as believability, good characterization and character development, and a well-thought out plot/story.

No matter how fantastic an idea, if an author is not able to tell the story in a way that satisfies at least the things I've just listed, then it's failed the reader.

message 21: by dawn (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

dawn Kate, seriously, a part of reading is forming opinions and looking into the world around you. Do you blindly accept and love all books by authors you enjoyed once upon a time?

Few of us who strongly dislike the book made derogatory comments about those who it like it. Honestly, disagreement is a part of growing up.

If you disagree with us, do you have a reason why? I agree that the book is fantasy, but most of my favorite books are. Authors still have a point of view, and they might have an agenda.

I recommend that you read more fantasy or science fiction. It might give you better perspective. I recommend "Ender's Game", "Eye of the World", and "The Life of Pi". All are well written, and none involve pedophilia.

Like “Breaking Dawn”, "Ender's Game" was written by a Mormon author, and it has a point of view promoting marriage, children, and religion. While Orson Scott Card and I might disagree on these issues, I still love his books. Maybe it is because I'm okay with other people having a different opinion.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate I've read so many books from "to Kill a mockingbird" to "ender's game" I know a good book when i read one.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate It's not a cult it's a very good series. It seems that all of you never liked the series in the first place. So why did you read the book?
And if you don't like it that doesn't mean you have say how bad it is. That hurts people. Fans and the author.

message 24: by Kate (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

Kate Breaking Dawn was a good book. I'm sorry if none of you liked it but I did. I'm sick and tired of people bashing someones hard work.
The whole series was full of character development!
he wholes series had a good plot.
It's fantasy. go and read the dictionary. It doesn't have to believable.
I have read so many novels it's not even funny. Will you people quite telling me I'm mature enough and blah, blah, blah.
My mom-who has read more books than you've ever seen in your life-thought it was an amazing novel.
Here's what she wants to tell you-
"You aren't the writer so you are just going to have to deal with what the writer gives you. You're the reader."
So quite bashing a good book! Please!
Apparently she hasn't failed readers too much because breaking Dawn just topped the charts.

message 25: by Dana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dana I just want to say that this is the best snark I've read in a review in a long time:

"Meyer rides this train till there are no more tracks; taking the train, and all of it's passengers on a bumpy, uncomfortable, and unforgivable journey no one had prepared for."

Please write for my local paper. Please.

message 26: by Jillian (last edited Aug 03, 2008 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jillian Kate, honestly, you're way too defensive about this. You do not have to be the police for Stephenie Meyer's reputation. She made her bed, and she can sleep in it. If it's uncomfortable for her, that's her problem. But from what I hear, she's very comfortable, sleeping in the bed that we all paid for.

You said, "It's fantasy, it doesn't have to be believable." I would hope, if someone was devoting so much time and energy into writing something to be published and read by millions that it would, in fact, make sense and therefore be believable.

Your mother is right, as readers we are forced to "deal" with what the author gives us. But as readers, we're also given the opportunity to give our personal criticisms as much as we want, whenever, wherever, and to whoever we want.

Please, I would appreciate some common sense as to why people are bashing your maturity level. First off, your grammatical errors are actually ruining what you're trying to say. But I understand because you obviously feel passionate enough about this to continue posting comments. Secondly, you are the only person defending the book series on this thread, with nothing more than YOU (and a few people you know) thought it made sense, and Stephenie Meyer might cry so we should stop being mean to her.

Yes, the book topped the charts, and it will probably stay there for a little while, until everyone pre-orders J.K. Rowling's next book. Low-and-behold, I understand the ways of the New York Times Bestsellers list.

You can continue to whine and tell us to stop "bashing" the book that she worked so hard on, and I will, if I am the first, tell you, again: welcome to the world of criticism. Not everything is happy magical fairies and rainbows. Sometimes when you put something out there for the world to see, despite the pain, time, energy, and/or sanity you put into it, there will always be someone to let you know that it is the worst thing they've ever seen, heard, or read (sometimes all three at once!) So please, continue to spam this thread with comments like that, and I may not be as nice in my responses.

Jillian Other than that, I would like to thank Dana for her comment. :P That was very sweet.

message 28: by Pachia (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Pachia This book really sucked. I thought New Moon was her best book too. And Jacob is still my fav. I could have sworn SMeyer put somewhere in her FAQS from her website that Vampires could not have children because they were not "living" and their sperm was "not alive". When I read that Bella got preggers, I went back to her website and couldn't find that blog. Am I making this part up? Or did someone else see something similar to that?

Jillian I have most certainly read and seen something pertaining to that and I'm not sure if they took it off or what. But I went to her book-signing and a girl asked that question and she said, HERSELF, "Don't be looking for any vampire babies." I thought I was the only one having a bit of a memory-relapse, but at the responses I've seen, I'm guessing not.

Sherrie I keep hearing that "This is a fantasy book, there is going to be weird things in it". Yes...I agree with that..however, SMeyer did not write the previous books with so much strangeness and it came out of left field and quite frankly, it really was not well written. She did not have this type of horror element to it in the previous books (distended stomach, bloody birth, Edward ripping open Bella with his teeth). I bet a big group of teenage girls who read these books don't really read horror/fantasy novels. That was the nice thing about the Twilight series. But now...man, I just don't know.

message 31: by dawn (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

dawn I read all of the books in quick secession, and I’m not just disappointed in how the story progressed, I’m disappointed in how the writing progressed.

I'll carry on the HP comparison. I like the first HP book, but it wasn't great. I felt the same way about Twilight. As the HP characters grew, their characters developed, the plots became more complex, and the writing improved dramatically. For both authors, the first book of the series was their first published book.

I didn't see SM's progression from a novice writer to a mature writer. I think Breaking Dawn was the most armature of the bunch. The story was more complex, but it only confused things. Themes didn't develop, and characters remained flat. Things happened to the characters, but no one showed real emotional growth. Even Jacob only grew from an obsession with a woman to an obsession with a child--gross.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of real reviews in the media? I get it; it is selling lots of copies. No one is talking about the issues created by the book--people screaming at their online peers about if the book's substance is, well, icky.

message 32: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni I think it's because no one wants to take on her crazed fan base.

People are willing to let this crap slide because it's popular. It's high school all over again. -_-

message 33: by Megan (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan Ha ha. Kate, you make me laugh. As do many people who can't accept that people have different opinions just as strong as yours. I don't mean to offend you or anything, honestly, that's the LAST thing I wanted to do. I just think it's funny how some people feel so strongly about their opinion that they think it's correct. I'm OK with people having other opinions, that's part of life. You'll disagree with people, but that's when you can just accept that they may think differently than you and walk away.

message 34: by Ellen (new) - rated it 1 star

Ellen I think you either loved that stupid book, or you hated it (I didn't even bother finishing it, I hated it so much.) I loved your review, and had a view good laughs reading it too.

message 35: by Laurie (last edited Aug 04, 2008 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Laurie Pachia, I do know which quote you're talking about. I'm pretty positive it was on the myspace fansite which sadly no longer exists.

However; on the lexicon there is personal correspondence with Steph where she says: "Most human fluids are absent in my vampires. No sweat, no tears, no blood besides that which they ingest–they don’t have their own blood. They do sort of have saliva–the venom makes their mouths wet, at least. When they drink blood, it runs through their body and makes them strong. It floods through their old blood ways, though they don’t have circulation anymore. It lightens their eyes* and flushes their skin slightly."

And then a couple paragraphs later she goes into vampires not being able to get pregnant. What I find interesting is that she starts off the “vampires can't get pregnant paragraph” by stating: "And since we’re talking physiology…" Since the question asked was referring to fluids and she goes into the "physiology" of being a vampire it's alluded that vampires don't have sperm or at the every least “living sperm” as you put it. Now she doesn’t just come right out and say that but she may as well have, because clearly that’s the implication. But this is just her loop-hole for explaining the miraculous conception.

Insulting really...

message 36: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Also, has anyone called Meyer on obliterating her own fandom? Because she kind of did with this book.

message 37: by Ariel (new) - rated it 1 star

Ariel Very much agree with your review! Don't bother arguing with the folks who disagree with you. Everyone's entitled to their differing opinions -- and I definitely share yours.

message 38: by Laura (last edited Aug 04, 2008 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Laura Jilly_

I am so glad that I am not alone!! I HATED the book! Your review was outstanding!!! Thanks!

message 39: by Nathan (new)

Nathan A+ review Jill, F for Kate though. Seriously girl, let it go.

message 40: by Audrey (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Audrey kate,
if you really feel so strongly about breaking dawn, in a positive way, then why don't you find a positive review and have educated discussion about its pros, instead of slamming Jilly for her opinion. It would be a much better use of your time then arguing through her commentsection.

message 41: by Ibby (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ibby Jilly; I'm so glad to find a good review that voices all my thoughts about Breaking Dawn. All the Twilight hype has been sorta clouding me from really thinking about the content.
Keep on reviewing!

message 42: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Congrats Brighde. That comment actually made Kate look like a shining beacon of maturity. Seriously, WTF?

As for sending email complaints, that's up to you. People I know have settled for returning their books. I don't think you can send a stronger message than that. But that's my opinion. Do what you want.

message 43: by Sella (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sella Malin Jilly- very explanatory review. You certainly can express how you feel in a very strong, confident manner! I do respect your opinion, but I'm afraid to say that I cannot agree with you. I thought that Breaking Dawn was the best book out of the Twilight series and perhaps one of the greatest ones I have ever read. Now, before you go into a crazed frenzy and start calling me foul names, I would like to remind you that this is my own opinion, and I do have the right to express it freely, just as you have to express yours.

I do not think that the book was plot-lacking, nor do I think that when there was one, it was a rash sort of decision. When I was reading it, it felt as though Meyer carefully planned out the plot of the book, and did not make any rash or hurried decisions. I thought it was very well-paced and well-written, and I don't think anyone could have written it better, and I wouldn't change anything about it. I am perfectly satisfied with this book.

Yes, I admit that having Jacob imprint on Renesmee was a bit strange and creepy, and maybe the fact that Edward was able to get Bella pregnant was a bit contradictory, but I feel that Meyer did give a satisfactory explanation. And if you think about it, it is the best thing for both Bella and Jacob for the imprinting to happen. Now they can be family and love each other without any tension or jealousy.

Please do not be rude about my opinions, and try not to bite down my throat. I know that we can argue forever and never really convince the other, so let's just keep it that way. Agree to disagree, shall we not?

One more thing...I hear people mention a few times that Stephenie Meyer once said something like "don't plan on any vampire babies." Well, that still applies to Breaking Dawn, doesn't it? Renesmee is not technically a vampire baby; she is half/half. It is impossible for vampire/vampire to produce any babies; perhaps that is why Meyer repeated over and over that there will be no vampire babies. Just something to consider...;)

Oh and I have one more thing to say...I'm fairly disappointed at the level of barking down people's throats in this discussion. Just because Kate feels strongly about her opinion doesn't mean everyone has to go swearing at her. Pardon me if you find this comment nosy and intrusive...but that's just my opinion..erm...maybe I should back out now...well, good day...*blushes*

message 44: by Vivian (last edited Aug 06, 2008 02:37PM) (new)

Vivian Laurie wrote:

Vampires are so lucky aren’t they? They don’t sweat or cry; they just sparkle.

Anyway, if there is venom in saliva, Bella should have been contaminated at some point while kissing Edward, or most definitely during sex. (Did it bother anyone that Bella can only wear contact lenses for a short period of time because the venom in her eyes disintegrates contacts? That’s just freaky!)

I’m still trying to figure out why male vampires have viable sperm if they can’t mate with female vampires, who are supposedly infertile; it makes no sense.

Also, Jacob imprinting on a child made me really sick. You really have to wonder how/why Meyer's publisher allowed that to make it in the book.

I admit that I'm not a fan of the books. (Bella is a horrible role model for girls!) Unfortunately, for me, I took them out at the library and read them because of my morbid curiosity.

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna I love your review!

message 46: by Sella (new) - rated it 1 star

Sella Malin Vivian:

About the venom thing, Meyer said herself that the only way for a human to get infected with vampire venom is if it gets into their bloodstream. So she can't get infected by just exchanging saliva. That's why Edward had to be extra careful when kissing her- so that his sharp teeth won't cut her, therefore getting his venomous saliva into her bloodstream and infecting her.

And the sperm thing...when vampires transform, nothing about them changes; they are set in stone. They only stop living, so things that humans need to survive disappear; blood, heart, etc. But they still have sperm. It can't affect female vampires, because their bodies are also frozen in time; they can't become pregnant. Which isn't the case for a human.

message 47: by Vivian (last edited Aug 06, 2008 07:19PM) (new)

Vivian Sella wrote:

Their blood, sweat and tears disappear, but not their sperm? Come on! It doesn't make sense. The only reason why males have sperm is to propagate the species. Biologically it serves no purpose to have sperm if you cannot impregnate female vampires.

message 48: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni "And the sperm thing...when vampires transform, nothing about them changes; they are set in stone. They only stop living, so things that humans need to survive disappear; blood, heart, etc. But they still have sperm."

But...doesn't that strike you as ODD, that everything else is set in stone, they stop living, but the sperm does not?

It sounds like she's reaching to me, and the fact that she's doing it with her own canon is just sad. She could have made it so much easier by saying yes, vampires can have babies, or even (as someone else said) explained it all away with, "OMG! IT'S MAGIC!"

message 49: by Penny (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny Great Review Jilly. LOL about the icing on the cake comment.

Hey Kate, we get it, you loved the book. You are obviously a "true fan" of Stephenie Meyer. All of us that didn't like this novel need to just shut our pie-holes and just be glad Stephenie wrote the books in the first place.

Look, I wasn't going to say anything to you, Kate, but I have to. I just can't restrain myself. Kate (and other people who liked Breaking Dawn), I envy the fact that you people liked the novel. At least you get to be satisfied with the end of Bella and Edwards story. I so wanted to like this book but I just can't. I can't force myself to like something so (in my humble opinion) crap-tastic.

Many of Stephenie's fans feel ripped off and rightfully so. Stephenie is a talented writer and she has it in her to write a much better ending to the Twilight series.

My problems with this novel extend far beyond the reasons you keep listing. The fact is, SOME PEOPLE are satisfied with a good story and OTHER PEOPLE appreciate good literature. Breaking Dawn is just a good story with a generic Disney ending, but it had the potential to be good literature. That, my dear, is why I am overwhelmingly disappointed with Breaking Dawn.

I suspect, if you keep reading good literature, your appreciation for this novel will wane. Just give it time. Pick up Breaking Dawn 10-15 years from now and you will see that Breaking Dawn is just a good story.

message 50: by Sella (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sella Malin Toni and Vivian, I'm re-reading Breaking Dawn and I just realized something.

Yes, about the sperm thing, I am wrong. Vampires don't have sperm. But go back and re-read the part where Bella just finds out she's pregnant, the incubus/succubus story. Now, THAT makes sense, and it's how she became pregnant.

« previous 1 3