Sarah's Reviews > Voyage with the Vikings

Voyage with the Vikings by Marianne Hering

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: christian-fiction, christianity, i-own-this, review-books, children
Read from April 19 to June 16, 2011

My children enjoy Adventures in Odyssey so when I had the chance to review The Imagination Station Book 1 I had to take it. This book is recommended for ages 7 and up however I did read it to my 4 and 6 year old as well as my 9 year old. All of them, including me, enjoyed it – I had to finish it in one day we were all so caught up in the story! Now, having said that, my 9 year old would have found this a too easy of a read if she had read this by herself as she is reading on an almost middle school level and the grade level for this is 1.7. Regardless, she enjoyed it and was the one begging loudly to please finish it.

In this book your children will venture to the time of the Vikings and of Erik the Red and his son Leif. Vicious polar bears and scary, pagan Vikings are included and while there is mention of sacrifice of the Christian Vikings – nothing is outright disturbing or graphic. What I liked about this is now my children are wanting to learn more about Vikings and their time period, and this book gave a good jump off with some historical accuracy. While secular readers will enjoy this book, the characters are not afraid of saying their is one True God especially when confronted by Erik the Red and his false gods.

**I was provided a copy of this book from Tyndale Media in exchange for my honest opinion, no other compensation was given.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voyage with the Vikings.