Anne McCarten-Gibbs's Reviews > Kitchen Chinese: A Novel About Food, Family, and Finding Yourself

Kitchen Chinese by Ann Mah

Apr 29, 11

Read from April 19 to 26, 2011

This was a fun book to be reading during a stressful week. I enjoyed it, but couldn't give it 4 stars because of the annoying "Bridget Jone's Diary" chic lit devices that got in the way. Must the main character be ditzy and dense in every exchange with a man, even though she is a thoughtful and expressive voice otherwise? And must there be a surprise "twist" about the main love interest that is obvious from the very first second?
Outside of the forced love story, though, I really enjoyed the great sense of place and time in the story, and the loving descriptions of the food.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Chinese.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle You know the Chinese pop star that she was sort of seeing at one point? Well when I was in Beijing last summer I was reading this book and had Chinese MTV on while reading in the hotel. All of a sudden they talked about that pop star from the book! Fun coincidence! I liked the book - good summer reading and stress reducing!

Anne McCarten-Gibbs Very fun. So he's a real person? Wow.