Saly's Reviews > Baby By Design (Maternity Row)

Baby By Design (Maternity Row) by Paula Detmer Riggs

3192922
Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: harlequin-silhouette, sil-intimate-moments, 2nd-chance-at-love, category-romance
Read in April, 2011

Baby by design is a marriage in trouble story and even after finishing it I am conflicted about it. It wasn't bad but it was just lacking somewhere.
Morgan Pax is a world famous foreign correspondent who came from nothing, he left school at 15 and signed up for the Vietnam war. His humble roots and lack of pedigree always made him embarrassed so he did everything to over-come it, read and read until he could fake it, made himself highly successfully but still in one corner of his mind he's till the boy whose mother left and father went to jail.

He's been married to Raine for 11 years, he loves her but has never really been a part of her life. He spent all his time trying to earn and provide a better future for their child when tragedy struck and Raine asked him to leave.

Raine, I don't know what to say about her, what does it say about her marriage when she never asked her husband for more?She felt her marriage was not more than an affair after their child died and her father and other people constantly pointing it out didn't help. Raine due to some medical complications decided to have a baby and then Morgan who had just received divorce papers decided to win his wife back.
These two people loved each other they said but they lacked something basic called "communication", bottling up things isn't good and I don't know I felt really frustrated at times with the characters. Morgan was so successful and he still couldn't get time off and his issues with his past were never really dealt with.

My opinion Detmer has written a lot better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby By Design (Maternity Row).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by willaful (new)

willaful Nice review!

message 2: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Nice review. I probably won't read it though because I don't like marriage in trouble stories.

Saly Thank you guys :)
Jacqueline normally Paula Detmer writes books of substance but in this one the characters just frustrated me, more air time was given to characters from the previous books. Have you read any books by her before?
I must confess it was Mia who made me read her.

message 4: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline I don't think I've read anything by her. If I have it was before I was keeping track on GRs and I couldn't possibly remember 40 years worth of books more's the pity. If I were going to read one, what would you suggest?

Saly I would recommend Firebrand, Taming the Night. I know I have read more but will have to check my diary(I still keep book notes in it) :) Will get back to you.

message 6: by Booklover (new)

Booklover Saly great review

seems one of those book that you expect so much but are left frustrated and disappointed but i wanna read it,will try to get my hands on it

Saly Yes booklover it is exactly that kind of book, the potential is there but the pay-off is lacking.

Saly Yeah that was a single and I have it in my tbr. I wonder where she disappeared since she writes really great books.