Shanella's Reviews > Shine

Shine by Lauren Myracle

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: favorites, netgalley, arc
Read from April 19 to 23, 2011

Cat lives in a small town in North Carolina, where the poverty level is high and the options are low. The story opens up a week after Cat's childhood best friend - and kindred spirit - Patrick, was attacked at the Come 'n' Go, where he worked.

The story unfolds slowly, and Lauren Myracle takes that time to build the relationships and explain Cat's past while also developing the characters that Cat interact with throughout the novel. Cat had an experience three years prior that caused her to turn away from her friends, Patrick included. However, she feels compelled to find out what happened to Patrick, who was the victim of a hate crime and by doing so it opens doors that she closed three years before.

Lauren handled the telling of the crime and its resolution well. As I am not from a small town I don't fully understand what that experience might be, however, Lauren details her story in such a way that I feel as though I'm living right next door to Cat. I was concerned that there might be religious bashing or that the story might turn out to be judgmental, however, this was not the case. While she did not candy-coat the emotions, or the effects of the crimes throughout the story, she approached it realistically and somewhat journalistically, allowing the reader to form their opinions about each character. I did not see the end coming until it was unfolding, but I do see now how it was a great ending.

There are a lot of points that could be discussed in this book. Prejudices, self hating and narrow-mindedness to name a few. I highly recommend reading this book! Then, perhaps discussing it with a friend over tea.

[review of arc via netgalley]
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.

Quotes Shanella Liked

Lauren Myracle
“Mama Sweetie said you didn't need a reason to sing. She said if everyone started off the day singing, just think how happy they'd be.”

Lauren Myracle
“I'm sorry," he said again, and this time he took those words and owned them.”

Lauren Myracle
“Dogs like everyone. Cats choose who to like.”

Lauren Myracle
“It's unfair how the kids who are starving for attention tended to be so annoying that people had no inclination to give it to them.”

04/19/2011 page 37