Cheryl Landmark's Reviews > Three Fates

Three Fates by Nora Roberts

Jan 14, 12

Read from January 10 to 14, 2012

This was another quite enjoyable book from the prolific pen of Nora Roberts. I liked the historical aspects she included of the sinking of the Lusitania and a little bit of Greek mythology. There was plenty of intrigue, adventure, danger and, of course, romance.

I do have to mention something that bugged me a bit about this book and others I've read from Ms. Roberts. One of the trademarks in many of her books seems to be--three impossibly gorgeous, sexy women and three impossibly handsome, rugged men who pair up early on in the book and fall madly in love with each other after the prerequisite misunderstandings, hurt feelings, arguments and sexual tension. Once they break through those barriers and fall into bed with each other for the first time, the happy ending is inevitable. Fans of romance might not be irritated by this, but it's an aspect that I personally find a little too formulaic.

Tia was the character I probably could relate to the most...not because of her neurotic hypochrondria but for her shy, reserved nature and her desire to avoid conflicts and unpleasant situations. I loved how she really blossomed and matured throughout the book. She developed a backbone and even stood up a few times to her domineering, paranoid mother. While Cleo and Rebecca were okay in their own right, their prickly, snarky attitudes did not endear them to me quite as much. The three men--Malachi, Gideon and Jack--were typical strong, chauvinistic males determined to protect and shield their fragile women from all danger...actions that were absolutely guaranteed to irritate and anger those same females, who considered themselves to be independent, strong-willed and anything but fragile. Anita Gaye was an appropriate villain, even though she was somewhat predicatable in her evilness.

All in all, it wasn't a bad read, especially when the focus shifted from the three romantic fates to the Three Fates and the exciting search for them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Fates.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Holdsworth Excellent review. I don't want to read the book, but enjoyed your analysis.

Cheryl Landmark Thanks, Marilyn. I don't read Nora Roberts' romance novels, but, for the most part, I like her mystery ones. Except, of course, for the irritating trademark I mentioned in the review! :)