Liv's Reviews > Discord's Apple

Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn

4190183
Apr 23, 11

Read from April 18 to 22, 2011

I hate to say this but I was actually disappointed with this book. While I generally adore Carrie Vaughn's works (in particular the Kitty Norville series), I just couldn't seem to get myself bought into the idea offered by this book.

The book was largely based on mythologies, and if you are a lover of Greek myths and Olympian gods, you may find this book fascinating to some extent. I actually thought that Carrie Vaughn may have started with a great idea, in venturing into a different paranormal realm of things, writing something about gods and their magic etc. However, I thought this book failed short of expectations, and largely, was due to poor plot building and storytelling.

The book often jumped from one place to another - while at one moment we'd be seeing the female protagonist Evie, and then next we'd be seeing something about Sinon and his participation at the Trojan War, and then the POV would switch again we'd see something history-telling from Evie's family past, and then next we'd be reading from the POV of Hera, and sometimes we'd read into Evie's comic book writing... In the beginning I got so confused with where this was all going and it took me sometime to get adjusted to this constant shifting POV. Also, I think too much time was spent in telling the background and how everybody landed at where they were, and when the "final" conflict came, it kind of went kaboom - and then... done?!?!! Well, I certainly couldn't say this was a great book, but it wasn't bad either - I could see that the author had an interesting idea going... It was just executed poorly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discord's Apple.