Williwaw's Reviews > The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame by Robert Silverberg

May 07, 2011

liked it
Read from April 19 to May 07, 2011

This is a showcase of older science fiction stories (before the creation of the Nebula Awards in the early 1960's). So it's definitely retro and probably in many ways not what science fiction readers of today are looking for.

Some of the stories hold up and some don't. My favorite story so far is "The Weapon Shop," by A.E. Van Vogt. It's as close to a hallucinogen as any story I have ever read. I have always loved Bradbury's "Mars is Heaven," so it is hard for me to evaluate it any more. But I'm imagining that if you have not read it, and you are not familiar with The Martian Chronicles, you are in for a treat!

Other favorites from this collection: "Microcosmic God" (Sturgeon); "Mimsy Were the Borogoves" (Kuttner and Moore writing as Padgett); and "The Little Black Bag" (Korbluth).

There are also stories here that, while incredibly inventive and memorable, are tough to read. A case in point is Bester's "Fondly Fahrenheit." I did not enjoy reading it. It was jarring and confusing. Yet it is so incredibly clever that it will always be remembered.

I didn't care for Weinbaum's "A Martian Odyssey." It's a shame that this book opens with such a lame story. Either skip it, or don't let it stop you from enjoying other stories in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Science Fiction Hall of Fame.