Rabiah's Reviews > And Then Things Fall Apart

And Then Things Fall Apart by Arlaina Tibensky

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: arc, own, blog-tour
Read in July, 2011

Originally Posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final text/cover may change.**

"You know the saying, "It's darkest before the dawn," right?
Well, for me it was as bright as the freaking sun before the meteor hit.
I was ablaze with happiness.
And then things fall apart."

And Then Things Fall Apart tells us Keek's story, how her normal, perfect life went down in a couple of days. Her account of her summer where everything fell apart tells us of her parent's divorce, why she and her boyfriend fought and how someone she trusted in betrayed her. Sofa-King hilarious and realistically painful, this book is a summer debut you don't want to miss.

Keek. Who'd ever heard of this name? True, her real name's Karina, but ever since she was young and couldn't pronounce her own name then, it was Keek which everyone caught on. Keek's a BRILLIANT narrator. Her account of everyday is so enjoyable to read and through her writing (on a typewriter no less) we can feel her love for The Bell Jar (I'll talk about that further down) and the itchiness of her chicken pox. Keek and the reader will have such a close personal connection throughout the story.
Even though Keek is like "hate-liking" Matt throughout the course of the novel, I found him really likeable. I mean, he's a 'jock' I guess, but he's still really sweet and he loves Keek for who she is. Even when she starts wearing those stockings which she writes on, he stays with her and actually walks her back and forth so that she doesn't get picked on by the older students. AANDDD...he cooks! I'm really impressed.
Amanda. BLECKKKKKK. Okay, I won't talk too much about her except for the fact that I really hate her. You're just gonna have to read the book to find out how she plays a part in all of this.
Nic and Earl the Squirrel (:P) are really good supporting characters, yet I wish they made more of an appearance during the novel. I love how things turn out with them and it's cool to see how it all works out.

I've never actually heard of The Bell Jar before I read this book, and the book does heavily refer to it A LOT. I mean, I'm pretty sure, every page had AT LEAST 2-4 sentences about the book. And Chicken Pox. Another thing I've never actually had. Hope it isn't as bad as Keek's was (I'm 15 too...so it should be kinda deathly right? -_-) but I dunno, I'm curious about both.
I really liked the poems in between chapters, although it was somtimes replaced by letters or notes from people/Keek. I found one poem really nice, I copied it down here. It's called "Meat Aisle" (pg. 30):

Meat Aisle

My heart is sliced into pieces,
As red and glistening as marble steaks
Wrapped in cellophane
A sorrowing beast,
Its timid snout protrudes,
Sniffling and panting,
Hot breath and whiskers.
I am howling.
My teeth itch to snatch at skins.
My arms ache to embrace.
My essentials long for trust, securite,
A safe bed in front of the fire,
Where I can rest before tomorrow's hunt.

Overall, And Then Things Fall Apart is a novel about growing up, facing with difficulties through life, but making the best of it. Its a fabulous novel about self relization and finding out who you are. An AMAZING summer read, And Then Things Fall Apart is brilliant and hilariously true. Can't wait for more of Arlaina Tibensky's writing to come out. Absolutely Sofa-king LOVED IT!

**Thank you so much to Sarah Goldberg from FinePrint Literary Management for sending And Then Things Fall Apart for review and making me part of the blog tour!**
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then Things Fall Apart.

Quotes Rabiah Liked

Arlaina Tibensky
“Like when people (my parents) ask what I'm going to study in college and I say, "English." They say, "Oh. So you want to be a teacher?" And I want to cover my eyes and mouth with duct tape and pretend to be dead and done with it. No, you simpletons. I want to travel and write and live in a big city, and do cool things with my brain. This is not to disparage the fine and noble art of educating in any way. My English teachers have made me who I am today and I love them with a passion that surprises me. I just don't want to be one.”
Arlaina Tibensky, And Then Things Fall Apart