Lisa Kay's Reviews > Surrender

Surrender by Pamela Clare

★★★★★ Five full stars and a WOW!
Photobucket
I loved this book, but then, as a historical romance reader, it is definitely my cuppa tea. I was a bit worried, as every one of my GR friends loves her contemporary love stories; could she make the transition? With a resounding yes, I must say she did! And then some.

I also selected Iain MacKinnon, the hero, to fill the coveted “Protector Hero” slot in my Nothing But Reading Challenges - My Hero Challenge. And man-oh-man, does he fulfill the role - for a mortal male. He is fierce and tender and loving. All that and long, long black hair (down to his waist) and the bluest eyes. **sigh** He is determined to protect her, even if it is from himself.
“I cannae go there. Please dinnae send me there.”

“What frightens you, Annie?”

She seemed to hesitate. “ ’Tis no’ safe for me. Please dinnae ask me more.”

Galled that she did not trust him, he answered more harshly than he’d intended. “You’ll go where I deem you safe.”

She stiffened in his arms. “I am safe here.”

“Nay, Annie. You’re right about me. I am a barbarian. If you stay, ’tis only a matter of time before I come to your bed and steal far more than a kiss. You ken it as well as I. Aye, I can feel it in the way your heart is beatin’. If you stay here, you and I will lie together—as sure as the sun rises.”
Ms. Clare not only gives us a hero to die for, she also gives a wonderful sense of place and time (pre-revolutionary, colonial America), providing us with many a villain and one I could only hope will find redemption in this series. Brava to Ms. Clare for picking a setting and era not selected frequently by romance writers and bringing a highland warrior to America!
Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers, #1) by Pamela Clare Edited 5/15/11 to add quote.
32 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender.

05/10/2011 page 76

Trewen oh Lisa Kay, you need to do more than ponder this one!!
It's soooo good. Pamela Clare rocks!

message 2: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay UM Dhestiny, Did you change your avatar and name? I know it's you, you Pamela Clare Queen Addict you, and not someone named Trewen!

Trewen Nope, just little ol' me wantin' some Iain MacKinnon action!

message 4: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Trewen, So you gave this ★★★★★ And you love a good western. Interesting. All those factored in, maybe I'll have to move it up on my TBR tower.

Denise Lisa, ♥ Iain ♥ is yummy.. you will like him...

Michelegg I'm agreeing with everyone Lisa. Pamela Clare just rocks a romance. You should definitely refrain from pondering and go right to reading!

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay You mean I'm going to have to log back onto betterworld books and buy this? The things I do for you! LOL!

message 8: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay This book arrived from BWB last night. Wow! It is really good!

Trewen I'm so glad your liking it!!
It's one of my all time faves!

Michelegg Yay I'm glad you are enjoying it. I somehow knew you would!

message 11: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 11, 2011 07:37PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Michele, I am! It is great! Just my cuppa tea.

Michelegg When you get a chance you must read Ride The Fire. That was my first read by this author and Holy Cow, I was blown away. Of course I have a thing for guys with long black hair but oh my! She does know how to write a book that can singe your soul. The childbirth scene? Sigh!

message 13: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Okay, Michele. I see I have it marked at TBR. Must move it higher on my pile!

Amanda Lisa you are going to love Surrender. I got hooked on Pamela Clare with this series. SMOKIN' HOT Scots with a native twist. Yum! If you want, check out my review at

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Amanda, Before I click on that review...are there any spoilers?? I'm really enjoying this book and I don't want to read what happens. Maybe I should read it afterwards, humm?

Amanda Lisa Kay wrote: "Amanda, Before I click on that review...are there any spoilers?? I'm really enjoying this book and I don't want to read what happens. Maybe I should read it afterwards, humm?"

Read the review after, just to be safe!

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Okay, GTK. Thanks, Amanda!

Michelegg Lisa Kay wrote: "Okay, Michele. I see I have it marked at TBR. Must move it higher on my pile!

The guy in Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers, #1) by Pamela Clare has black hair down to his waist!"

I think PC must have the same obsession with really long haired guys as I do. :-) Maybe that's why I enjoy her books so much! The guy in Ride the Fire has black hair down to his waist, too. Oh sigh! I may need to read it again soon. Lol

message 19: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 12, 2011 10:49AM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Michele wrote: "The guy in Ride the Fire has black hair down to his waist, too. Oh sigh! I may need to read it again soon. Lol..."

LOL! You are too funny, Michele! But I know what you mean. Right now I ♥Iain♥! **sigh**

Michelegg And I don't blame you! He's kind of easy to love!

message 21: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Amanda wrote: "Lisa you are going to love Surrender. I got hooked on Pamela Clare with this series. SMOKIN' HOT Scots with a native twist. Yum! If you want, check out my review at

Loved your review, Amanda!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review! I really love this series :)

message 23: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thanks, Dhes. Man-oh-man, Iain rocked my world. You were right!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Morgan is amazing, too! You'll love it, I promise!

message 25: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Is he next?

message 26: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 14, 2011 01:43AM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Dhes, I just had to put a picture of Iain in the water in my review. God, remember when she fell off that stupid make-shift bridge and he jumped in to save her...and he couldn't find her, and he was starting to panic! PC described that scene, and his feelings, so well; my heart was in my throat! **swallows hard just recalling it** It really is an adventure story!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yes, Morgan is next, in Untamed, then Connor's story is Defiant, which she's writing right now.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I remember that scene, Lisa. It was so intense!

Have your read the Blakewell/Kenleigh trilogy yet? They really should be read in order.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Hey, I need to TRY to go to sleep.

I'll talk to you later! *hugs*

message 30: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 14, 2011 01:43AM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Sweet dreams, Dhes! *hugs*

message 31: by Jill (last edited May 14, 2011 01:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Beautiful review LK. Beautiful picture.
Who is that? And where can I get one?

message 32: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay That is Adrian Paul, an actor best known for his role on the television show Highlander: The Series as Duncan MacLeod. I believe he has an Italian mother and a British father.

message 33: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Maybe I'll have to take up watching tele!

message 34: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay I never watched the series, Jill; but I did a search for "highlander" in photobucket and up popped his pic. That, and he was in water ...well, I couldn't resist. I had to do a little editing to get rid of a concrete wall behind him, but I think it works. It was almost like being in the water with him. **sigh**

message 35: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Brilliant job on the editing LK.
You know why I think he looks so good? Water, yes.
But the man has hair on his chest! And not too much.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Lisa Kay! Love the pic!

Amanda Lisa Kay wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Lisa you are going to love Surrender. I got hooked on Pamela Clare with this series. SMOKIN' HOT Scots with a native twist. Yum! If you want, check out my review at

Thanks Lisa! You must go on to the next brother in the series. Another HOT SCOT with a tale you won't forget!

message 38: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 14, 2011 11:59AM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thank you Jill & Lady Jayne! And Jill, I agree with you about the chest hair - I like a little myself. Just the right amount.

Amanda, I plan to get to the next books in the series; I've just made come committments to some buddy reads first.

message 39: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Hi, Lisa Kay — I'm so glad you enjoyed Iain and Annie's story. I began my writing career writing historicals, not contemporaries, so for me the transition was toward writing the contemporaries. I've got three more historicals on contract right now, so, although my historical readers have had to wait, they'll be getting a few books over the next couple of years, which, I hope, will come as good news. :-)

Thanks for the lovely review!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lisa Kay wrote: "UM Dhestiny, Did you change your avatar and name? I know it's you, you Pamela Clare Queen Addict you, and not someone named Trewen!"

LOL!!! No, I haven't changed my name, but I am guilty of being an addict.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pamela wrote: "I see you keep good company on Goodreads. (Hi, Dhes! Hi, Lady Jayne! Hi, Michele — yes, same obsession.)"

Hi Pamela! **hugs** I hope you're enjoying your visit with your son!!!

message 42: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Pamela wrote: "I've got three more historicals on contract right now, so, although my historical readers have had to wait, they'll be getting a few books over the next couple of years, which, I hope, will come as good news. :-)"

Thanks for stopping by, PC. I am so glad you have more historicals coming out. My first love! I am almost afraid to read the next in this series as Iain was so perfect. **sigh**
Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2) by Pamela Clare

Trewen Lisa Kay,
You're rating high these days girlfriend!
Pamela's writing to you!

message 44: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Trewen wrote: "Lisa Kay,
You're rating high these days girlfriend!
Pamela's writing to you!
:)"

I know ! How exciting is that? I hope I remember to take the elevator on the way down. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pamela wrote: "I've got three more historicals on contract right now, so, although my historical readers have had to wait, they'll be getting a few books over the next couple of years, which, I hope, will come as good news. :-)"

**gasp** You've been holding out on Moi??

message 46: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 27, 2011 10:32PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Glad you liked this one, Lisa. But of course you would because your taste doesn't suck!"

Your taste isn’t so bad either; you and Melanie called this one, Dhes. Another perfect bull’s-eye to my heart. Now, see, if she wasn't writing all those contemporaries for you and yours, she could write more historicals for me!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lisa Kay wrote: "Now, see, if she wasn't writing all those contemporaries for you and yours, she could write more historicals for me! "

Trewen I ditto Dhes!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish And that's why I'd never ask her to write my grocery list. I'd never made it out of the produce aisle. *wink, wink*

message 50: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Silly, silly girl. You need to read them all. She's one of the few authors who can make me swoon no matter what she writes."

I really liked the one contemporary-romance I read of hers (on your rec); I should give another a try as I remember the suspense and romance were very good. However, when I read Surrender, I was in that wilderness with Iain and Annie, in that time period! It was a real adventure story with tons of passion. Not easy to pull off, IMHO.

« previous 1