Maria's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

May 17, 12

bookshelves: e-book, ya, recommended, stand-alone-ultimate-faves, 2011-favorites
Read from July 28 to 29, 2011

Reread, May 2012
and still 5 stars :)

I highly recommend Jellicoe Road.

“What do you want from me?” he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

i was not entirely convinced by the book blurb (but i still read it anyway, since my GR friends insisted Jellicoe Road is really good). halfway through it revealed to me that yes, so maybe Jellicoe Road is award-winning. finishing & closing the book made me realized that Melina Marchetta conned me, but oh, how i loved to be conned this way! because Jellicoe Road is one BRILLIANT read. (I’m done reading in 6 hours! Man, i could not, would not put it down.)

First half was so confusing – i did not know Marchetta is contructing two stories that will collide in the end. I needed patience to read Jellicoe Road and i was rewarded BIG time!

Taylor’s strength came out in the middle of the story, when things started going awry that she needed to stay in control. I wanna hug her, tease her, and constantly remind her that her past (mistakes) does not define her future. She was willful, defiant, and cunning. I feel for her, especially with the dream scenes. They were heartbreaking.

Griggs is one tough character. Not because he’s the leader of the Cadets, but because the story that Marchetta wove for him was dark, hopeless but resilient. His background made me appreciate him more at the end of Jellicoe Road. I found his character very strong – i just love him!

This is not just a love story; there’s also a touch of mystery, crime & suspense. That’s a BIG plus for me!

Jellicoe Road is also about family and friendships, and how you can find love and family in between those friendships. It is definitely a must-read. Why? Because Jellicoe Road will surely stun you into silence. A very, very good silence to accompany your sudden love for Melina Marchetta.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

Quotes Maria Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Is a person worth more because they have someone to grieve for them?”

Melina Marchetta
“He stops and looks at me. 'I'm here because of you. You're my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked way, is tuned in to mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell, yes, but I don't think that will be happening in my lifetime.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.”

Melina Marchetta
“Because being part of him isn't just anything. It's kind of everything.”
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road

Angus What? Six hours? You sure read fast!

Maria Angus wrote: "What? Six hours? You sure read fast!"

Hi Chami! what can i say? when i'm hooked, i'm hooked. :)

hope you like Jellicoe too!

Rollie I think you somehow spoiled the book for me. :D

Maria how so?