Kayla Cagan's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

5020995
Apr 18, 2011

Read from June 12 to 28, 2011 , read count: 1

Tina Fey's memoir feels exactly the way I would want it to feel if I was just hanging out with Tina Fey - endearing, funny, and chatty. It feels like a girlfriend is relaying yet another story about her insane job and you nod and think, "yup, your life is totes crazy, Girl, but I totally think it's awesome," -and that's because it is. She has demanding careers, a loving family, and great comedic taste - and you get a glimpse into it when you read her book. I laughed loudly at some of her passages- which I almost never do when I'm reading - and found myself wanting to reread paragraphs over and over again.

I actually learned a lot from Bossypants. Here are some highlights:

1) "The show doesn't go on because it's ready; it goes on because it's 11:30." (She learned this from Lorne Michaels.)

2) "Speak in statements instead of apologetic questions." (She learned this from improv.)

3) Men in dresses will always be considered funnier than women in dresses (or pants.) - (This was said in a lot of different ways, but good examples she wrote about involved Chris Kattan and Amy Poehler.)

I don't want to write too much more here because I want you to go read it, especially if you are a comedy fan, a Tina Fey fan, a Saturday Night Live fan, or a fan of reading books with funny women in hats on the cover. So hop to it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

05/24/2016 marked as: read