Matt's Reviews > Doctor Who: The Spectre of Lanyon Moor

Doctor Who by Nicholas Pegg

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: audio, doctor-who, science-fiction

In a storyline that reminds me a bit of the Third Doctor television serial The Daemons the Sixth Doctor and Evelyn Smythe find themselves in England, where the locals are claiming to have been troubled by demonic creatures like imps and goblins. Shortly after arriving, the Doctor is reunited with Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, now retired but doing a bit of undercover work for UNIT in investigation of the local troubles. Of course, there is something funny afoot, and the Brig, Evelyn, and the Doctor jump into figure out what is going on.

I think I like this story more for the characters than the actual content of the narrative, but that is okay-- it's a quite "high" 3 out of 5 (If I were able, this would be a perfect example of a 3.5). The plot leaves something to be desired, and I spent the whole time going "It's the audio version of The Daemons!" but there is more good about it than bad. By this point, I have to say Colin Baker is the best Doctor in the audio plays. He was often criticized on television, but I have to say I'm quickly becoming a fan. It also doesn't hurt that the Brig is in this and is as awesome as always--Colin Baker and Nicholas Courtney have wonderful chemistry in audio form, despite never having been along side one another on screen (aside from the Dimensions in Time charity special, which is not considered canon). It also helps that the Sixth Doctor finally has a decent companion. This was a fun romp.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.