Clay Nichols's Reviews > Blood's A Rover

Blood's A Rover by James Ellroy

4319251
May 25, 2011

Read from April 18 to May 23, 2011

"Port Au Prince was Shitsville with a sea breeze."

Which pretty much sums up the unhinged staccato noir that is James Ellroy. His latest thriller is a "confluence" -- a mashup of every conspiracy theory, underground movement, heist, political revolution and mob hit that took place from 1968 to 1972. It's a torqued narrative, drugged up and hyper-violent. Stylized and frequently over the top, but also queasy roller-coaster fun.

There's Hoover. There's Nixon. There's the Mau Mau Liberation Front. There's Howard Hughes. Los Angeles, Las Vegas, the Dominican and Haiti. It's Hispañola that lends a creepy supernatural dimension that sometimes serves to enrich and darken (if that's possible) the narrative, but also serves as a backdrop for the least credible aspects of the story.

There's plenty of political allegory at work here, and I certainly appreciated that the left was just as conniving, violent and well-funded as the right. For once.

I rate this five stars because I do think it rises above the crowd in this genre, but I imagine a lot of readers might strongly disagree. If the line above didn't make you chuckle a bit, this book is not for you. The rating also reflects the outstanding work done by the Craig Wasson who read this audiobook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood's A Rover.

message 1: by Twobusy (new)

Twobusy I used to be a hardcore Ellroy fan, but somewhere back around "The Cold Six Thousand" his stylized voice jumped the dividing line between "fascinating and unique" to "utterly incomprehensible" — and I felt so dismayed and disoriented by the experience that I've been afraid to go back ever since.

Based on your review... I'm not sure this is the one that's gonna draw me back into the fold.