Jon's Reviews > Townie: A Memoir

Townie by Andre Dubus III

M_50x66
Apr 18, 11

Read in April, 2011

I should start by saying that I'm not what most would consider an avid reader of novels. Most of my book reading is non-fiction, and almost always on relatively dry subject matter like economics or politics. More recently I have gotten over the guilt I used to feel when I would read fiction, and have enjoyed some of the more recent releases that friends have told me I have to read (Kite Runner, Da Vinci Code, etc.) Townie is the first autobiography that I have ever read, so I can't really give my opinion on its relative strength within the genre, but all I can say is I think this is the best book I've ever read and I'm still not sure why. As a main character Andre Dubus III didn't live what most people would consider to be an extraordinary life, in fact I found myself being able to identify with a lot of his experiences, but a majority of the ones discussed in the book are not the kind I would ever bring up at a party. If you can write yourself nude, that is what he has done. I can't imagine being as vulnerable as he must have been when he was reading this book to someone for the first time. The skill of his writing is amazing, I could happily read a story about him drinking coffee for an hour. I would recommend this book to anyone, particularly men.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Townie.