Heather's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: american-literature, classics
Read from December 06 to 08, 2011

"They were careless people, Tom and Daisy--they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made..." I have loved this book since I first read it twenty-odd years ago. I have also loved the Robert Redford and Mia Farrow movie version of the book. As I read the book again, I was struck at how well-cast the movie was and how it evoked the same thoughts I had while reading--such as the thoughtless, narcissistic attitude Tom and Daisy had towards others. I was also struck by Gatsby's determination to have something that was already gone and irretrievable. You can't go home again. For instance, he was shocked when he actually saw Daisy's daughter. For him, the little girl couldn't possibly exist. "He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that is was already behind him."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Quotes Heather Liked

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I read somewhere that the sun's getting hotter every year," said Tom genially. "It seems that pretty soon the earth's going to fall into the sun--or wait a minute--it's just the opposite--the sun's getting colder every year." 1925”
tags: humor

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“At first I was surprised and confused; then as he lay in his house and didn't move or breathe or speak hour upon hour it grew upon me that I was responsible, because no one else was interested--interested, I mean, with that intense personal interest to which everyone has some vague right at the end.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.”