S.N. Arly's Reviews > Superior Saturday

Superior Saturday by Garth Nix

Apr 18, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-ficiton, middle-grade
Read in April, 2011

This is the sixth book in The Keys to the Kingdom series. If you haven't read the others, you shouldn't start with this one because it won't make sense. This is probably the weakest book in the series. Still worth reading, but not as strong as some that have come before.

It's a relief to see Arthur accepting what has become his destiny. No longer eschewing magic in an effort to remain human and embracing what needs to be done to save his world and the people he cares for makes him a more sympathetic reluctant hero, rather than a whiner. It also allows him to act more decisively, very helpful when trying to rescue your loved ones.

The rich world details that typically make up Nix's work were lacking in this installment. The things that don't make sense (Arthur's battle with his internal Denizen, how a country could justify nuking a hospital at the center of a plague) are never explained in a satisfactory way (if at all). We also have what feels like a very artificial cliffhanger at the end. I confess I'm concerned with the number of loose ends Nix has to tidy up for the final book to be truly satisfying. Having read his Old Kingdom series, I know he can do it, but not if he writes it the way he wrote this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superior Saturday.