Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Under the Light

Under the Light by Laura Whitcomb

Apr 18, 11

Read from April 22 to 25, 2013

Under the Light (Light #2) is the sequel to A Certain Slant of Light, and one I’ve been waiting for since 2005 for. A Certain Slant of Light is one of my all time favorite books, as well as one of my most beloved Young Adult reads. This is a book you find yourself re-reading time and again, and will want to pass it along to anyone you know. The story is so beautiful, the writing poetic. This is a book that makes you cry because of the message about love and life and death. Under the Light should impressed fans of A Certain Slant of Light, but it didn’t pack as much of a punch like A Certain Slant of Light, although the writing is still rich and full or prose.

Under the Light begins right after A Certain Slant of Light ends. Helen, the spirit who possessed Jenny's body, the depressed and sad girl, for a week has left and found peace in what looks to be Heaven. While in Jenny’s body, Helen met another spirit James, who possessed Billy’s body. Jenny comes from a very strict, religious household, while Billy lives with his older brother and gets in trouble with the law. Over a course of a week, Helen and James connected and fell in love. Unfortunately when they left the bodies they took over, both Jenny and Billy are then clueless as to what happened during that week their souls were away. Their souls were on another plane where they met and also connected, much like Helen and James did. Now that Jenny and Billy have returned, they must figure out what they missed and the consequences, if any, of Helen and James’s actions.

Jenny finds out her father has been cheating on her mother and left for his mistress. This comes as complete shock because Jenny’s father is very a bible thumping, religious fanatic who ruled his household with an iron fist. Jenny is very confused and scared. But she’s not alone. Helen has come back to Jenny to help her find peace, much like she has found. Then there’s Billy, who wants to stay friends with Jenny. Both team up and investigate the time they’ve lost. Helen is there the entire time to guide Jenny, who feels Helen is helping her, especially when it comes to her father and those at the church who believe Jenny was possessed by a demon.

Laura Whitcomb has a lovely way with words. Under the Light is a precious tale about forgiveness and acceptance. Jenny and Billy are total opposites but have a bond now because of Helen and James. Under the Light is also very sweet and tender and suited for all ages. It’s the perfect book for teens feeling lost or uncertain about their own lives. Under the Light gives you a sense of hope. The ending will make you smile and possibly shed a tear.

I loved reading about Helen again, although I wish James was by her side as she helped Jenny. I’m hoping there will be one final book showing Helen and James together in their paradise they have made for themselves. Under the Light was like coming home to old friends.

Do yourself a favor and pick up A Certain Slant of Light and Under the Light. You won’t regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Light.

04/24/2013 page 200
78.0% "Whitcomb has a way with words. Beautiful. I adore Helen. Miss James :("

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jade Hi! I also gave this book 3 stars. I agree with your review. I like A Certain Slant of Light so much, I was a bit resentful this book did not match the loveliness of the first book. lol Crazy, ha?

Katie(babs) Jade wrote: "Hi! I also gave this book 3 stars. I agree with your review. I like A Certain Slant of Light so much, I was a bit resentful this book did not match the loveliness of the first book. lol Crazy, ha?"

I was more meh than wow like the first book, but the writing is still so beautiful here. I did sigh at the end.