Xavier Guillaume's Reviews > Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: surrealism
Recommended for: Those wanting to read an interesting, bizarre story
Read from April 14 to 17, 2011, read count: 1

Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, what can I say about you. Well, you entertained me with Inklings that reminded me of Ink but perhaps scarier... You felt like a dream, kind of like most every other novel by Murakami :) I liked the added touch of, "When was the last time I peed?" One of the great Truths in life :) The End of the World also felt like Kino's Journey an anime about a young boy/girl who travels to strange towns in order to discover what each has to offer, towns where books might be banned, or people have to fight to the death, or towns with no sound. The End of the World is a town with no mind and no shadow. Think of it as Eckhart Tolle's fantasy world :) But when you have a town where the people have no mind, the people also have no personality, no passion, no love.

This book is very sad at its end, but there is hope involved in it too. I very much like the chubby girl in pink. I also like the parallel between the two female librarians; they feel like the same soul.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.