Noelle's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Jun 11, 15

bookshelves: oh-the-dystopia, reviewed, yay-for-ya, onward-to-adventure, 2012-favorites
Read from June 26, 2011 to October 06, 2012

I thought this was fun as hell. First of all, as my Goodreads friends know, I adore a good adventure road trip tale. I just love 'em--the stranger the people/lands, the shittier the conditions and the steeper the hardships, the better! There's nothing more entertaining to me than a bunch of random personalities dependent on each other for survival while they are saving the world/defeating evil/[insert epic quest here]. So obviously I was pretty on board after reading the story blurb. Yet, I've been burned in the past so although I was eager, I withheld my full-fledged enthusiasm.

But then I discovered that not only was Blood Red Road an adventure quest/road trip but it was based on hillbillies in a post-apocalyptic world AND featured a heroine with an anger management problem, a girl gang of revolutionaries, an enigmatic dark knight, a Flynn Rider-esque hero, and the best dang animal sidekick I've seen in awhile (a crow! that plays dice! and "aint much fer huggin"!) and.....OH HELL YES.

The heroine was awesomely flawed. A couple times I recoiled with a “DAMN, cold!” to some of the doozies Saba lobbed at her sis but then I imagined being responsible for the physical safety and well being of a 9 year old where the best possible outcomes could be dying of thirst and the worst possibilities included slavery, cage fighting for your life and oh yeah, HELL WORMS. I’d probably lose it once or twice at dear lil' sis myself.

I'm not sure if it's a sign that ---egads!--I've lived in the South too long or what, but the dialect didn't bother me one bit. While this book is the first of a series, it has a full and complete plot and could stand on it's own. After reading so many first books that bury you with "this is a trilogy!" exposition, I appreciated Blood Red Road so much. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Updated: Here's an awesome rendition of the Free Hawks by foralllove on tumblr:

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.

06/27/2011 page 41
9.0% "DUN DUN DUNNNNN. Intriguing."
06/29/2011 page 231
50.0% 2 comments
06/30/2011 page 305
66.0% "I'm not sure when it happened but I mentally cast Jack as Flynn Rider, ha!"
10/01/2012
0.0% "Getting a speed reread in before Rebel Heart :)"
10/03/2012
20.0% "Okay so maybe I lied about the "speed" in speed reread. But I still love "not much fer huggin" Nero."
10/04/2012
40.0% " Then Saba threw the heartstone into the ocean and a huge humpback whale leapt from the waves to swallow it whole before swimming off into the sunset. It was never seen again. " 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Wendy Darling I thought this was super fun, too! Great review. :)

Noelle Thanks Wendy! :)